Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: questions for people who regularly shoot nudes

Re: questions for people who regularly shoot nudes

I have never modeled nude. I don't know anyone that I hate enough to subject them to that.

I don't think it is necessary to do that. I have enough empathy for my models (some experienced, some never-evers) that I can imagine what the experience is like for them, and work in a way that minimizes any trepidation they may have.

I have never photographed nudes nor done any modeling but I have sketched many a nude (both male and female) in college figure drawing courses.

If you are thinking about photographing some nude models then do yourself a favor and hire someone experienced. We had both experienced and a few brand new models in college. There was one episode that was quite disastrous with a new model.

A quality, experienced model will teach you some things!

I modeled for 8 years. Mostly commercial work (such as Under Armour, Fila, Totoya), never nude. It's just like acting. A professional model knows how to give the photographer what he/ she needs in a very short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    I took a workshop with Peter LeGrand at a View Camera Conference and the first thing I remember him saying is "it's okay to look". He was giving a "figure/portraiture" workshop. I was so naive I thought I was going to learn how to make portraits, I was surprised when the model removed her robe. I still see Peter once a month or so and have talked to him extensively about his work with nudes. I've seen quite a bit of his work, past and present and none of it ever comes across as anything but art.

I've never modeled but I always talk to the model first and convey to her my ideas and ask her questions to find her comfort level. It helps to look them in the eye when talking to them, especially when they are nude. I work with professional models and expect professional behavior from them. This means come prepared and ready to work. I never, ever make any kind of remarks in jest that could be misconstrued.
    Peter came very, very close in that workshop to having the photographers be nude, too... We didn't have to restrain him, but we did sort of talk him out of it, even though we thought it was a good idea.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I think our own micmojo has the highest throughput of nude models. And he is a self-professed amateur.

I was wondering about the model of modeling in an amateur setting myself. Does money change hands? Is this pro-bono?

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    I took a workshop with Peter LeGrand at a View Camera Conference and the first thing I remember him saying is "it's okay to look".
    Peter came very, very close in that workshop to having the photographers be nude, too... We didn't have to restrain him, but we did sort of talk him out of it, even though we thought it was a good idea.
    Yes, absolutely, it's ok to look. You can't take photos of someone if you don't look. But there is a line between looking with an eye to understanding how someone's body is shaped, how it moves, and how it responds to light, and leering with lecherous intent, drool coursing down your chin. If you want to keep doing human figure work for any length of time, stay on the non-lecherous side of that line. Working with a female model, I'd err on the side of not touching them at all. With male models, I've only made contact after first obtaining permission and then making clear the purpose of touching them, and not deviating from my stated intention by even a millimeter.

I would never disrobe in front of my models - to me it's a sign of professionalism. It's too easy to misinterpret a gesture like that intended to put the model more at ease and instead freak them out.

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by towolf View Post
    I think our own micmojo has the highest throughput of nude models. And he is a self-professed amateur.

I was wondering about the model of modeling in an amateur setting myself. Does money change hands? Is this pro-bono?
    It's kind of like the old adage of "what's that camera worth?" - the value is the value arrived at between the buyer and seller at the time of the sale. Some modeling gigs are paid, some are underpaid, some are highly compensated, and some (I would argue the majority) are totally unpaid. If it is something you think you want to do regularly, I would do it as a trade-for-prints deal until you have some experience and have a better idea of what you are required to do. If it's a one-off, just-for-the-experience-of-it, then it doesn't really matter. But if you ask for money and don't deliver quality images, then the photographer will not only not hire you again, they'll never give you a good reference. A decent photographer should at least also buy you lunch if you pose.

Modeling for painting/drawing/sculpture is different - there, you should expect to get paid, a flat rate by the hour, for your work, because you're committing to not just an hour or two one afternoon, but several hours a day for multiple days, frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Yes, absolutely, it's ok to look. You can't take photos of someone if you don't look. But there is a line between looking with an eye to understanding how someone's body is shaped, how it moves, and how it responds to light, and leering with lecherous intent, drool coursing down your chin. If you want to keep doing human figure work for any length of time, stay on the non-lecherous side of that line. Working with a female model, I'd err on the side of not touching them at all. With male models, I've only made contact after first obtaining permission and then making clear the purpose of touching them, and not deviating from my stated intention by even a millimeter.

I would never disrobe in front of my models - to me it's a sign of professionalism. It's too easy to misinterpret a gesture like that intended to put the model more at ease and instead freak them out.
    With that kind of attitude, Edward Weston would have died a virgin, (after he left the wife and 4 kids).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Remember when naked people roamed the streets of America?

I sure miss the 60's, streakers and the way more open lifestyle many of us enjoyed.

I did inhale.

Randy Moe
    Tin Can

multiplex

thankyou all for your insights.