Thread: Agfa 8x10 Studio View Camera - From pile of crap to ready to shoot in 3 days!

Agfa 8x10 Studio View Camera - From pile of crap to ready to shoot in 3 days!

On Friday I got a pretty sweet deal on a pile of crap on Craigslist... The camera had been stripped for refinishing and never put back together. Somebody hit the camera pretty hard with sand paper, but didn't get very far. The table top was missing and two of the 3 casters were broken...

A lot of wood oil... some penetrating oil for the rusty bits... a couple of trips to the hardware store... and here she is!

I worked on it over the weekend and got it pretty much ready to shoot again! I just need to make a lensboard or two and modify my 8x10 film back to fit.

Fun weekend! Can't wait to get this beast back into action!

Now to find a lens fitting for this camera...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	agfa-before-after.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	127562
    Robert Oliver

Re: Agfa 8x10 Studio View Camera - From pile of crap to ready to shoot in 3 days!

Congrats, and good job.

I wish I could get a deal like that, however even if I did I wouldn't have the time to work on it.

Re: Agfa 8x10 Studio View Camera - From pile of crap to ready to shoot in 3 days!

can anybody shoot a picture of their rear tilt mechanism? way back up and underneath the rear standard? Having trouble figuring that out. Not sure if I'm missing a piece or just not understanding it.

If I put the brass round part in the hole... the hinge hits it preventing rear tilt. If I take it out, I can tilt both directions.

thanks!
    Robert Oliver

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear-controls-sm.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	127563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box-of-parts-sm.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	127564
    Robert Oliver

I am sufficiently jealous. :-)
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Robert,

Let me know if you don't figure it out by Wednesday. I'll be home then and can take photos of mine.

Tim

It's looking really good. A job well done.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

Congrats Robert, I saw that ad in Ontario but couldn't act on it quick enough. I don't need another 8x10 but I thought it was a great price for the package. What is the maximum extension for the bellow? Eddie Gunks has a great video on YouTube about Agfa/Ansco studio camera.

I get about 39 inches of bellows before they start to make crackling sounds...
    Robert Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Robert,

Let me know if you don't figure it out by Wednesday. I'll be home then and can take photos of mine.

Tim
    Tim, that would be great... not sure how close the Century mechanism is to the Agfa, but would love to see it.
    Robert Oliver