Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok! Setting up a web site. What to do about image security?

Rio Oso shooter

Ok! Setting up a web site. What to do about image security?

I have been getting very active in shooting and scanning and taking the time to get fully back into photography. I am about to get a web site going and the question of image security is really becoming a major concern for me.
    I have worked hard to get images that I have and would like to present them. Some of the things that I have used in the past have been the usual visible watermark, and posting small images in 72 dpi format but.....you all know the usual gymnastics.
    Would certainly appreciate some input about the best approach to get going. I know that some hosting sites that offer full protection and then there are digital watermarks by, Digimarc, for instance.
    I am leaning towards Koken for the Management System to start with because of the control that I have over content and they are a good intermediate place to start.

Wish I could be more direct about the question but because my knowledge base is limited the questions haven't really formed yet.

Thanks in advance,
    Richard

Re: Ok! Setting up a web site. What to do about image security?

I know that some hosting sites that offer full (image copying) protection
    Impossible; a sign of dishonesty, trying to con the uninformed.

Richard, I have found that if someone wants to steal your images, they will, if they are adept at that sort of thing.
    Unfortunately, it comes with the territory of posting photos on the internet.

Register your images with the Copyright Office in Wash, DC. Can be done online with all of your images in a single batch for $35 or so.

Rio Oso shooter

Wow! I was expecting to find some way to secure my images. This is disconcerting!

Pin your prints to the inside of a rain coat, drive around the country in the '46 Plymouth sedan and show them to anyone who wants to look.
    At least your images will be secure (unless you forget your rain coat somewhere!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Preston Birdwell

Pin your prints to the inside of a rain coat, drive around the country in the '46 Plymouth sedan and show them to anyone who wants to look.
    At least your images will be secure (unless you forget your rain coat somewhere!)
    Classic!

As has been said, if your images are on the Web, someone will figure out a way to snag them. Registering your work with the copyright office won't prevent them from being swiped, but you'll have a stronger case if you catch the perpetrator.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by riooso View Post
    Wow! I was expecting to find some way to secure my images. This is disconcerting!
    No one can see the images unless they are downloaded to the user's computer. That is how the internet works.

Rio Oso shooter

I guess you all are right. I was hoping something like Digimarc would be helpful.

R

There is no security possible. If the image can be seen on a screen, it can be copied.