Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negative Quality Questions From a Novice

Re: Negative Quality Questions From a Novice

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    I also agree something is happening in the wet process. The suggestions above are a good place to start, and see if improvements can be found.

OK -- advice taken. I tossed out both my D76 and Fixer, and processed a new batch of film in new chemistry and the mystery marks are gone! Definitely a wet process issue, and I think, as one of you mentioned, it may have been some improperly dissolved chemistry sticking to the negatives. Again, I'm so grateful to all of you for your wisdom.

I'm planing on Windex-ing my film holders before shooting with them again, and will hunt for a safe air compressor, but I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the weird light leak in image one of my original post? Does this look at all like a familiar leak pattern, because I'm mystified. It was processed in a tank with 4 other sheets of film that turned out fine, so it must be either a loading/leaking/unloading problem, and if anyone has thoughts, I'm all ears.

Thanks again to each of you for dramatically improving my somewhat frustrating day!!

Something you didn't ask about, but this might be of some use - the photo of the woman looks quite underexposed. Are you aware of bellows compensation for close focusing? It occurs to me that to get focus on her you might have extended the bellows far enough that the light fall off has to be accounted for.
    If the light leak you are referring to is the odd, dark, mushroom cloud looking thing, then I'm not sure what caused it. If it's a positive scan then it's not a light leak if it's coming out darker than the rest of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by bertiep View Post
    OK -- advice taken. I tossed out both my D76 and Fixer, and processed a new batch of film in new chemistry and the mystery marks are gone! Definitely a wet process issue, and I think, as one of you mentioned, it may have been some improperly dissolved chemistry sticking to the negatives. Again, I'm so grateful to all of you for your wisdom.

I'm planing on Windex-ing my film holders before shooting with them again, and will hunt for a safe air compressor, but I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the weird light leak in image one of my original post? Does this look at all like a familiar leak pattern, because I'm mystified. It was processed in a tank with 4 other sheets of film that turned out fine, so it must be either a loading/leaking/unloading problem, and if anyone has thoughts, I'm all ears.

Thanks again to each of you for dramatically improving my somewhat frustrating day!!
    Glad you're making progress. When mixing powdered chemistry, be sure to follow the suggested water temperatures. If water temp is too low when mixing, all the crystals may not fully dissolve.

Just a thought bertiep, but unless you have several film holders one can of that compressed air used for blowing dust from electronics will probably work for you.
    Just ensure that it's completely upright or it'll spray out liquid.

I've used Windex for my film holders, and it does the job nicely.
    However I usually just use lens cleaner since I have bottles of it laying around.

As for mixing chemistry, if you can afford one the best device I've seen is a Magnetic Mixer
    Some are heated, others not but they all do the job.

After you get your film holders clean, store them in a dust free place; I like anti-static bags used for electronics. When my film holders are not being loaded/unloaded or in the camera, they are stored in anti-static bags.

I've seen some of the issues like you've shown from fixer that is dirty/old or unclean final rinse water.

Quote Originally Posted by bertiep View Post
    [...]I'm planing on Windex-ing my film holders before shooting with them again
    Windex is fine for removing some sticky stuff (although Stoner's Invisible Glass is best) but for removing dust, which is more pervasive, then Swifter Dusters are the best. They work perfectly, reach in the cracks and are disposable. Just don't get the combination duster and polish or scented kind.

For dust removal in film holders I use a lipstick brush and my own wind makers (lungs).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    Something you didn't ask about, but this might be of some use - the photo of the woman looks quite underexposed. Are you aware of bellows compensation for close focusing? It occurs to me that to get focus on her you might have extended the bellows far enough that the light fall off has to be accounted for.
    If the light leak you are referring to is the odd, dark, mushroom cloud looking thing, then I'm not sure what caused it. If it's a positive scan then it's not a light leak if it's coming out darker than the rest of the film.
    I've developed a piece of film (attached) shot moments after the crazy mushroom cloud of the same subject -- you can see the same subject (this time right side up), but without all the weird irregularity.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AimeeTiny.jpg  

Is this new, in date film, or some old expired stuff? Looks weird.
    BTW, you mentioned that you process 120 film. Do you have a regular Paterson tank, one of the ones that does 1 roll of 120 or two of 35mm? If so you could test process one sheet of 4x5 in that to figure out if your developing tank is causing any problems. I often do single sheets of 4x5 in a Paterson tank with excellent results so it should be a good control.
    You need 900ml of liquid, curve the sheet around the inside of the tank emulsion facing in, no need to stick it down or anything, it will stay there. Then process as you would with 120 film. Make sure you have the centre post in as that is part of the light trap.

I use the 2+ 35mm roll paterson tanks the same way as Michael W. It will actually hold 2 - 4x5 sheets, however they will overlap if you are not careful.
    I don't use the Taco method you may read about, because the once I tried it all 4 sheets had cracks in the emulsion,

I was thinking. If you are using film change bags or tents they're often a source of dust. I scrub mine out from time to time, plus I like keeping a damp sponge or a little damp paper towel inside while changing film to attract the dust rather than the film.
    Since I started that practice my film is much cleaner.