Thread: DIY leather lens caps

DIY leather lens caps

I've been going through my 8x10 gear. A few lenses have migrated over to other formats, but I wanted to return them to the fleet if only to start the year off right. One in particular, a 12" Dagor is in need of lens caps fore and aft.
    Since the leather lens cap I made for the B&L Pretzel awhile back is still holding up (I am amazed whenever I make anything and it is still holding together after a good amount of time---that's probably why I've never considered building a homebuilt aircraft!) I thought I'd give it another go.
    Here are the directions I used (and am using again)--- if anyone else is interested, take heart, you don't need an elaborate shop & equipment---some times you can buy the right size wood puck at a craft store like Michaels.
    http://www.lungov.com/wagner/DIYLensCap.html
    Tandy usually has bags of scrap of garment leather for sale and that has worked well for me in the past.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: DIY leather lens caps

That's a nice how-to article.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Dave Karp

Thanks John. This is a great idea.

Nice; thank you, John.

Update---
    I drew a circle using the Dagor rim for a pattern, cut it out of a piece of brown paper grocery bag and went to Michaels where I found wood circles just a tiny bit (perhaps a millimeter) smaller than what I was looking for 0.89. Two of these stacked gave me the thickness I wanted so I took them home (after paying of course!) and glued the stack together with Elmer's. I then wrapped masking tape from and old, nearly finished roll around the edges until the puck it was the size I needed and used it to trace another circle on card stock for the inside top of the lens cap and cut it out.
    I cut a strip of card stock overlapping 1/4" of an inch and with an X-Acto knife (with a new blade) skived I/4" off the ends on opposite sides of the strip. I covered the puck with a piece of cellophane tape where I'd planned the union to keep any ooze from sticking to the wood, and taking some Elmer's (I'd prefer rubber cement but Elmer's is what I had on hand) I wrapped the card stock strip around the puck and glued the skived ends and clamped it together with a rubber band from this morning's newspaper.
    That's where I'm at right now.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White