Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Large format negative from digital display

Re: Large format negative from digital display

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Are you using a CRT or LCD? This film is designed to capture CRT screens. http://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-ra...ideo-film.html

I shoot my 48" LCD LED BL HD TV with DSLR and 35 mm film. I found results usable for some things.

LCD has no scan lines like a CRT capture which may appear, dependent upon shutter speed and timing. Different technology.
    I am not using any CRT at the moment, only full HD screens LED LCD.
    I also made some pictures on a computer screen with 1080x1920 pixel by a Nikkormt camera and 110 mm lens. Good negatives, which can be reasonably enlarged.
    However at present I like to extract all possible from a large format lens camera.
    I will let know my results when available.
    Thanks to all for the attention and the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by salvatore View Post
    I am not using any CRT at the moment, only full HD screens LED LCD.
    I also made some pictures on a computer screen with 1080x1920 pixel by a Nikkormt camera and 110 mm lens. Good negatives, which can be reasonably enlarged.
    This topic was discussed here some time ago. If you use modern macro lens to take pic of LCD screen
    This is what you'll get:

Enlarging this will produce rather interesting "pixelation"

(crop from 6MP Pic of Apple LCD display using Canon 100mm - more here)

Another problem with using screen (lcd or crt) for contact prints is that you will include few mm of glass between focused image and receiver (film or photo paper). This will defocus your final image.

Victoria

I was goin to sleep but instead decided to try this out quickly. Shot a 4x5 negative from MacBook Pro Retina display. As the screen and the negative have different aspect ratio I tried to frame the shot to fill as much of the screen as possible. I developed the neg to rather high contrast and cut out a piece to be scanned with Nikon ED 9000.

Sorry for all the dust but here's a 100% crop of the scan @4000DPI. Shows a strong canvas like pattern.

Reduced size crop still shows banding.

Just wanted to see what it looks like. Could possibly be used for as effect. I guess banding could be minimised with low contrast development, optimising the exposure and what not. Possibly no use for me so I may not continue experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrim View Post
    I was goin to sleep but instead decided to try this out quickly. Shot a 4x5 negative from MacBook Pro Retina display. As the screen and the negative have different aspect ratio I tried to frame the shot to fill as much of the screen as possible. I developed the neg to rather high contrast and cut out a piece to be scanned with Nikon ED 9000.

Sorry for all the dust but here's a 100% crop of the scan @4000DPI. Shows a strong canvas like pattern.

Reduced size crop still shows banding.

Just wanted to see what it looks like. Could possibly be used for as effect. I guess banding could be minimised with low contrast development, optimising the exposure and what not. Possibly no use for me so I may not continue experimenting.
    Quite interesting result.
    Apart from the possible interest in a "canvas effect", obviously this technique cannot resolve the image to details smaller than a pixel.
    The best resolution you can expect is the one offered by common full HD screens, which however is not too bad, especially if the negative obtained is used for gum printing, with its intrinsic limited resolution.
    Moreover the use of a 4K and higher screen will reduce the size of a pixel to the limiting resolution of the naked eye (about 0.1 mm).