Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted - Easiest 4x5 field camera to focus.

Re: Opinions wanted - Easiest 4x5 field camera to focus.

The Sinar screen is very good. Assuming that's what you have, are you sure it's clean? My favorite ground glass is made by Bill Maxwell. They are very bright, even, and they have a very fine Fresnels. There's a recent thread that shows the difference. The screens are approximately $400.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

You must have a miserable loupe. Something in the 4X to 7X range would be more typical. It's really hard to use 10X on a groundglass. Fresnels help even the
    circle of illumination with true wide-angle lenses, but the fresnel pattern itself interferes with high resolution focus. I hate them in general. Rangefinders are more
    a technical camera feature for quickie head-on focus. Once you employ view camera movements that rangefinder probably won't be of any use. I wouldn't overthink this problem.... It's far more likely you're missing something in basic technique, that's not going to go away by switching equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmills View Post
    The sinar model I have is about as cheap as sinar makes, fairly certain it does not have a Fresnel.
    The fact that it's a Sinar F and was "cheap" does not mean it's garbage. Sinar did not make junk, and as long as it has not been abused, it should work just fine. It should be a very straightforward camera to use and focus. I've bought two F2's lately for around $350 each through this forum, for parts and to have extra belows & standards-so now I've got 3. Get the Sinar Fresnel for it if you don't have it, and Sinar also made a Binocular reflex viewer which inverts the image makes it ever easier to focus. They usually go for under $150 on the auction site (1/3 what I paid for mine 25 years ago). You can also call Precision Cameras in Niles IL who repairs Sinar @ 847-470-3350 and speak with them about it and see if it needs service. A field camera may be easier to travel with, but won't be any easier to focus. L

Opinions wanted - Easiest 4x5 field camera to focus.

I have never used a range finder 4x5, honestly not even sure how it works. I thought I read it was expensive to get is setup correctly. Did you have to do this with yours?
    Bob S might be able to tell us again what a cam matched to the lens and camera might cost.

Regarding my Super Technika V, I simply blundered into a very good deal for an existing system. When I got it I didn't even know the 135mm 3.5 Planar was desirable.

Well I'm just going to say it. A 4x5 Speed Graphic with a working rangefinder was pretty damn easy to focus. Why else do you think all those press photographers used them?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You must have a miserable loupe. Something in the 4X to 7X range would be more typical. It's really hard to use 10X on a groundglass. Fresnels help even the
    circle of illumination with true wide-angle lenses, but the fresnel pattern itself interferes with high resolution focus. I hate them in general. Rangefinders are more
    a technical camera feature for quickie head-on focus. Once you employ view camera movements that rangefinder probably won't be of any use. I wouldn't overthink this problem.... It's far more likely you're missing something in basic technique, that's not going to go away by switching equipment.
    I think there might have been some confusion based on a few replys. As far as rail vs field. This is a mute issue. I'm not keeping the Sinar, i travel too much and after bring it to Europe last summer I need more space in the flight case and I don't need all the things it does and im not really happy with how much the whole thing vibrates. I work with kids a lot, I need a camera thats fast to focus and front swing, that's it. A solid simple folding camera better suits my needs. My question was more since going to replace it are there any brands or models I should be looking at that would excel in focusing without having to buy anything new for it. I took a workshop with Jock Sturges this past summer and it was his 8x10 I got to try and his advice to get rid of what I have now. I used them side by side. That 8x10 was a dream to focus and I could see the whole GG at the same time. I know why he has four of them and still uses them. I know i'm not going to get the same thing on a 4x5 but I don't buy that all ground glass is the same and im just simply not using them correctly. Again i'm not trying to say a field camera will be easier to focus than a rail camera Im saying im buying a field camera and im wondering if there is a model or brand that I should be looking at.

Anyway with that said the post and examples about a "Maxwell Screen" show exactly what im running into and looks like a good fix. Might just have to find a nice clean folding camera and replace the screen with one of his. Still might try a new loupe too and Jock uses special glasses im going to try as well, basically bifocals with magnification. Works really well for him but he has a prescription so I could not try his.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Bob S might be able to tell us again what a cam matched to the lens and camera might cost.

Regarding my Super Technika V, I simply blundered into a very good deal for an existing system. When I got it I didn't even know the 135mm 3.5 Planar was desirable.
    Oh wow, wish I could stumble into a that kind of deal, im not in a rush so im keeping an eye on ebay and see if I get lucky. I would kill for a really clean 135mm f3.5
    Ryan Mills

Drew Wiley

Odd. I don't know how a Sinar would vibrate unless you are either using a substandard tripod and head, or if it is in fact an Alpina, which does not use the standard
    rail. Sinar F's compact rather easily for travel in a briefcase - that's how they were designed; but there are 4x5 folders which are even more compact. Technikas
    are basically clamshell design "technical" cameras (sorta a half-breed between a view camera and a press camera), as is the similar but much more affordable Horseman FA, something you might look into if you work in somewhat wide to just somewhat longer than "normal" focal lengths. Lighter than the Technika and likewise beautifully made, but without the triple extension rack.

Opinions wanted - Easiest 4x5 field camera to focus.

I would kill for a really clean 135mm f3.5
    Please take care. There is one that comes and goes on the big Bay site but it is mounted in the totally wrong shutter - so bad that even the max aperture is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Choose wisely.

While the 135mm F/3.5 Planar has been lauded, and honored historically as a 4x5 aerial recon lens I believe that given recent development the lens should be reconsidered. There are so many, probably symmetric 150mm lenses that outperform.

Focusing a coupled RF Speed/Crown Graphic and a Technika are about equally easy. I LOVE 'em.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I really like my 4x5, a Toyo AX. They're sturdy, easy to use, and not very expensive.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know