Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Recommendations for large format A3 scanner to scan 11x14 prints

Re: Recommendations for large format A3 scanner to scan 11x14 prints

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McElroy View Post
    Dan is correct about the use of plate burners. Over the years I used several styles of burners from flip top to large step-and-repeat machines that burned plates for the folding carton printers. All of these used either a 5KW UV light source or even in one shop we used old carbon arc lamps.

Most plates are aluminum that I worked with, but there are some plastic and paper plates as well. Processing usually required a plate processor that worked only with a specific type of plate. The basic process is one of developing the image, washing off the removed coating and the coating the plate with gum to seal the surface of the plate. Currently we are using Heidelberg's chem free plates that use no developer in the processor. The gum washes off the coating as well as finishes the plate with gum. These plates, as well as different ones for many years now, are imaged by laser plate setting equipment and in our shop the processor is in line with the plate setter so it is an automated process.

As far as duotones on a letterpress I think the primary problem would be the inks. I don't think that are transparent enough to control the trapping issues involved.
    I used a Vandercook press once in a bookmaking workshop. It was fun and reminded me of printmaking classes back in school.
    A friend has a 1909 Chandler and Price treddle powered press.
    It's terrific to hear from people who know about all this printing stuff! Thanks a lot for the information. I'm intrigued, and have so much to learn.

As for inks, well, here are my choices of letterpress inks:

https://www.boxcarpress.com/choosing-letterpress-ink/

They'll mix a custom color for me, so I was going to try Pantone 11 Gray with a black. Can you recommend any inks from the webpage? I'm not sure how to know if an ink is transparent enough to control the trapping issues. What is a trapping issue? LOL.

Vandercooks are proof presses, meant to do small runs, I guess. I've seen photographs labeled as "letterpress duotone", so they must have been done somehow on a letterpress. I don't suppose there are going to be any DIY rent by the hour offset printers in NYC.

Re: Recommendations for large format A3 scanner to scan 11x14 prints

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    It's terrific to hear from people who know about all this printing stuff! Thanks a lot for the information. I'm intrigued, and have so much to learn.

As for inks, well, here are my choices of letterpress inks:

https://www.boxcarpress.com/choosing-letterpress-ink/

They'll mix a custom color for me, so I was going to try Pantone 11 Gray with a black. Can you recommend any inks from the webpage? I'm not sure how to know if an ink is transparent enough to control the trapping issues. What is a trapping issue? LOL.

Vandercooks are proof presses, meant to do small runs, I guess. I've seen photographs labeled as "letterpress duotone", so they must have been done somehow on a letterpress. I don't suppose there are going to be any DIY rent by the hour offset printers in NYC.
    I do not have any idea on what type of ink to recommend for letterpress printing. The fellow that owns the Vandercook press moved to New Orleans and we have lost touch. My friend with the Chandler press uses Daniel Smith relief printing inks because she also does lino cut block prints as well (not printed on the letterpress).

Trapping of inks refers to the overlap of the different colors of ink. The halftone dots will overlap to create a third color because of the transparent nature of the ink. You are correct about the design intent of the Vandercook presses. They were used to proof jobs in the days before proofing systems came along so there should be a way to print screened images on them.

Perhaps you should talk with someone from a letterpress shop and see what they say.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis