Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gandolfi 8x10 Precision Folding Instruction and Date Questions...

Re: Gandolfi 8x10 Precision Folding Instruction and Date Questions...

as mentioned in a PM mine locks it self during the focusing - so several unlocking movements are in order (at least in my case..)

RR

I love Gandolfis and if I had seen your beautiful Gandolfi for sale I would have definitely tried to buy it. But actually I live in the UK - my family has always lived near where Gandolfis were made in London, so the brand has a sort of special connection for me.

Gandolfis can be hard to date. The single-digit stamped numbers (such as 1) are just the part matching numbers used during manufacture, as others have said. I have a 4x5 Gandolfi Precision made in the 1950s, and it has an older style lens board than yours. I have a photo of the Gandolfi workshop taken in 1979, and the cameras in that photo seem to have the same lens board as yours. So if I had to guess you Gandolfi's age I might guess 1970s?

My 4x5 Gandolfi is black (which actually cost extra, it was the "ebonized" option) although personally I think the wood ones look nicer.

I also have an early Gandolfi Universal (full plate size, which is 6.5 inches by 8.5 inches). It was made by Louis Gandolfi between 1898 and 1910, and the quality of cabinet work on that is incredible. How long must it have taken him to build them to that rather excessive level of quality?! Regarding the screws, yes, apparently he used a special technique to make all the screw heads line up, which involved starting them in the right position. I guess you practice with the screw on a piece of waste wood, count the turns, mark where you need to start ... time consuming stuff.

I wanted a Gandolfi 8x10 but failed to find one, so I just bought a Wisner 8x10. It will be interesting to compare. Wisner screws don't line up, which looks a bit rough to me compared to Gandolfis! I notice when new, Wisners cost almost twice as much as Gandolfis (around $4200 for the Wisner, $2300 for the Gandolfi). I wonder why? Personally I would have bought a Gandolfi! Wisners have more movements, but frankly I will never use those. My Gandolfi 4x5 feels "just right" and I am sure your 8x10 will feel the same. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OiledUpBeauties1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	128933

Just noticed this video.... Craftsmanship in the highest level.. Love it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJq04wKCKSY&app=desktop

Marvelous--what treasures. Both the cameras and the video.

Fancy a bit of cheese, eh, Gromit?...

That's a real treasure. Thank you for posting!!

Wonderful - just wonderful!

Ah yes, I am familiar with this nice video. In fact, I posted it, as well as a few other Gandolfi related videos, to my blog.
    I have been meaning to mention this info here prior. Thanks for the reminder.

Feel free to check them out: www.dustyman.com

Ha! Wallace and Gromit definitely crossed my mind as well. Someone should do a claymation video of the Gandolfi brothers in their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Fancy a bit of cheese, eh, Gromit?...

That's a real treasure. Thank you for posting!!

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Just noticed this video.... Craftsmanship in the highest level.. Love it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJq04wKCKSY&app=desktop
    Thanks so much for posting that film. It was very moving. Makes one proud to own a Gandolfi (I have two). I love the very last line of the film where Fred Gandolfi —who had been in and around camera building since the age of seven and had basically dedicated his whole life to the art and craft of it— says, "In my hands, lie my life". Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    Hi all. I have just received delivery of an impressively beautiful Gandolfi 8x10 Precision (Traditional) but I am having a hard time figuring out how to fold it in place. The woman who sold it to me removed the brass knobs that secured the front standard in order to fold it. I can't imagine that that would be the proper method. Can someone assist me with the correct procedure to fold it properly? Much appreciated. I will post some pix within a few days.

On another note, I would like to somehow date the camera. I have read that there should be a 2 digit number in the back to indicate the year. I don't see any 2 digit number. Just a number "1" on the inside of the camera's back, and also the same "1" inside of the 8x10 film back.

Many thanks.
    Hi happened across this thread, I am looking for a Gandolfi 8 x 10 and wondered if you still had the camera? or if you wanted to sell it by any chance?
    Thanks