Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gandolfi 8x10 Precision Folding Instruction and Date Questions...

Gandolfi 8x10 Precision Folding Instruction and Date Questions...

Hi all. I have just received delivery of an impressively beautiful Gandolfi 8x10 Precision (Traditional) but I am having a hard time figuring out how to fold it in place. The woman who sold it to me removed the brass knobs that secured the front standard in order to fold it. I can't imagine that that would be the proper method. Can someone assist me with the correct procedure to fold it properly? Much appreciated. I will post some pix within a few days.

On another note, I would like to somehow date the camera. I have read that there should be a 2 digit number in the back to indicate the year. I don't see any 2 digit number. Just a number "1" on the inside of the camera's back, and also the same "1" inside of the 8x10 film back.

Many thanks.

Re: Gandolfi 8x10 Precision Folding Instruction and Date Questions...

A 1 or 2 digit number sounds unlikely: Mahogany cameras are often marked with assembly numbers on the separate pieces. that is, "these pieces matched well so we should glue these 2 (or 3 etc) together tomorrow!"

Many trad cameras "flip" so that a mounted lens ends up facing down through a hole in the base plate.

Agreed, Steve. These single digit numbers were to match parts in assembly. Unfortunately, I don't see any other numbers.

Regarding the folding problem, yes, I've tried to position the front standard lens board in and down, like my 11x14 V11 Deardorff, but as I do so the Gandolfi's tall front rise brackets tilt back, with their tops stabbing the bellows midway, preventing the camera to fold.

Any 8x10 Gandolfi users care to chime in?

"Gandolfi" must live up to his handle - so send him a PM. He (Emil) is often on a Prague tour at this time of the year with students so perhaps direct through through the LFPF to his email address is better? I think he has every model of Gandolfi!

There are other owners/users here - check the "gandolfi" threads.

As far as I recall you must undo the latches at the bottom of the front standard. Then lay the standard on the base. Then fold the back down. Sort of like a Chamonix/Philips.

As Karl said, the latches/brackets at the bottom of the standard hold it in place.

also this

The slider moves fore and aft to alternately open or close the front or rear notch. Open the latch, lift the front standard up (knobs should be loosened, but not removed, and lay the front standard face-down flat in the bed of the camera. The rear standard focus may need to be adjusted to position the rear standard so that it clears everything on its way to the closed position. That's about all there is to it.

That you, Karl... that was the trick! Once I disconnected the bottom of the standard I was able to lay the brass side brackets down flat, as well as the standard. Much appreciated!

Will, those were amazingly helpful pictures! Super illustrative. I've had (and have) other folding field cameras, but this was the first that required this procedure. Simple enough. How do you find working with this camera? I know Gandolfi has a formidable reputation, but there is not much on the web as far as first hand experience. The camera, in lovely condition, was considerably less expensive than a Deardorff V8 in comparable condition. Additionally it came with an extra back (5x7), a bunch of both 8x10 and 5x7 holders, and a heavy duty metal flight case for all. I feel very fortunate. Deardorffs are readily available, but I hardly ever see 8x10 Gandolfi cameras for sale.

I saw that camera as well. I was quite tempted. Based on my current obsession with 10x12 I managed to resist. You got a very good deal. They are incredibly well made cameras. A real pleasure to use. Slightly limited compared to the Deardorff, but still a great camera.

Gandolfi cameras are unusual to find, even rare (to use that obnoxious word) but for some reason, at least in the U.S., they've not acquired the same following as Deardorff.

Personally, I think the design is superb, as is the workmanship. I have both the 5x7 and the 8x10. The folding mechanism is the easiest I've ever used except maybe for a Phillips/Chamonix-style. But I prefer rack & pinion focusing to the leadscrew focusing used on the others. And the Gandolfi is definitely old-school. I like that.

Contrary to some other commentators here, I don't much care for the Gandolfi lensboards, although they do the job. I had an adapter made for my 8x10 to allow me to use Sinar boards. Also an adapter for the 5x7 to allow the use of Technika boards. In the end it all comes down to personal preference. Using the Gandolfi is like using my grandmother's fine furniture. It is a tactile experience not unlike using a Leica. It's a very pretty box to hold the dark in place.