Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm interested in your opinion of this lens

I'm interested in your opinion of this lens

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221613489534...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's a Velostigmat series II 162/4.5. After seeing some of the work with Velostigmats here and elsewhere I'd like to try one of them. It looks like it's missing its mounting flange. How tough are those to come by?

As for what I'm using it for, anything. Mostly I do landscapes but I'm just interested in trying out different things. This one is more or less in my budget at the moment. Thanks.

Steve

Re: I'm interested in your opinion of this lens

It's a coated lens so the contrast should be a bit better than older ones. I've had luck in moving the front elements away from each other for some softness with 7.5" velostigmats. Jim Galli has sample images and a write up from the 7.5" velo series II. ( Thanks Jim) It will likely cover 4x5 well enough. please keep in mind that I don't know for certain that a 162mm velo will do the same, but it should be the same lens design. those shutters usually need some cleaning, and will often come back to life with a bit of tlc. if the seller could confirm the state of the shutter, it may be worth the money, but if the shutter is busted beyond repair, keep looking

Being coated, is this lens any different from the 162mm Raptar? I don't really think so, but I'm open to correction. The Raptar, and also as the Optar, shows up on Ebay regularly for half that price, in a better shutter.

See http://www.largeformatphotography.in...nfo-and-Images for history.
    As one of the shorter lengths, it won't have the diffusion adjustment, of course.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Steve, if you want to play and can afford to play (no doubt about that), don't let the naysayers, me included, deter you.

There are better Tessar types than Wolly Ser. IIs. In the range of focal lengths you're thinking about the 150/5.6 Xenar may be the best.

The "standard" lens on my 4x5 Crown Graphic is a 162mm f:4.5 Raptar in Wollensak shutter. Excellent lens, with good coverage. I don't know what it's doing in that huge old Alpax shutter. I think that the price is high for an uncoated lens.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    The "standard" lens on my 4x5 Crown Graphic is a 162mm f:4.5 Raptar in Wollensak shutter. Excellent lens, with good coverage. I don't know what it's doing in that huge old Alpax shutter. I think that the price is high for an uncoated lens.
    This was a very late Velostigmat before the Raptar renaming and was probably among the 1st to receive coating (WOCOTED) & is marked as such.

The Alphax shutter was Wollensaks self cocking shutter and one of the BEST of the time frame. The Rapax was made at the same time by Wollensk and was the shutter which you manually cocked. The two offered or met different needs one self cocking, one manually cocked and because of this the spring could be stronger allowing faster top speeds to be reached. This made it a better choice for hand/press camera users. While The Alphax was favored by studio workers most times.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    This was a very late Velostigmat before the Raptar renaming and was probably among the 1st to receive coating (WOCOTED) & is marked as such.

The Alphax shutter was Wollensaks self cocking shutter and one of the BEST of the time frame. The Rapax was made at the same time by Wollensk and was the shutter which you manually cocked. The two offered or met different needs one self cocking, one manually cocked and because of this the spring could be stronger allowing faster top speeds to be reached. This made it a better choice for hand/press camera users. While The Alphax was favored by studio workers most times.
    As usual, I put brain into neutral before putting mouth in gear. The only Alpax shutter that I have is an absolutely huge thing which won't fit on the lensboards of my Crown or Technika.
    I apologize for giving uinformed advice.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    ...After seeing some of the work with Velostigmats here and elsewhere I'd like to try one of them.
    Most of the work you've seen here has been done with the older uncoated Velostigmats, so be aware of that if you're interested in the look given by an older lens. I wouldn't classify them as "better" or "worse", just "different". If "better" was so easily defined, we'd all be shooting multi-coated Plasmats, and there'd be no market for the older lenses.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I don't think the flange will be that difficult to find. I've purchased a few off ebay that IIIRC fit both Betax and Alphax shutters.

However, that shutter doesn't look like it has a flash synch if that is something you'll want. Also, it appears to take the old style cable release with non-tapering threads. Those might be much harder to find, especially heavy duty ones needed by a self-cocking shutter.

It also looks like the rear element group is starting to separate slightly as evidenced by the yellowish balsam around the edge.

I suspect you'll be chasing a flange plus shipping, and a rare cable release plus shipping, and so the cost of this non-synched separating lens will be much more than just the auction BIN price.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    Also, it appears to take the old style cable release with non-tapering threads. Those might be much harder to find, especially heavy duty ones needed by a self-cocking shutter.

Hey Joe.While these do take either the Wollensak air bulb attachment or Wollensak cable release w/ the non-tapered end for exterior threads the Alphax & Betax shutters are also tapped for the VERY common inner tapered cable releases.