Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turner-Reich Gundelach : seeking opinion and info

Re: Turner-Reich Gundelach : seeking opinion and info

two elements of four cells
    Rather 2 cells of four elements.

No lens over 100 years old is going to be 100% perfect. Even if there is no sign of edge yellowing, the balsam layer in any vintage lens will not be as crystal clear as it once was. The good thing is that further deterioration is very slow and as they say "will have no obvious effects on imaging quality" in your lifetime. The OP's photo shows a lens that may well be OK as far as edge damage - but probably is more doubtful due to the central "patching". Separation is never the "death" of the lens! It is rectifiable - unlike gross scratching and missing elements or cells.

For me, personally, I treat Balsam problems as a lesser evil than missing mounting flanges! But I understand that not everyone has the DIY bug as I have. So I always redo balsam on any lens I sell - even with just yellow edges.

Your Protar VIIa lens is certain not a difficult one to re-balsam

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Baleur View Post
    Why is there nothing but misinformation on the internet? There is information, but it is then recounted by others. How do you know the truth? This is very disappointing.
    Sometimes, nothing can replace personal experience.

When buying cars of 20+ years or lenses 100+ years, general information on the type and brand is only half the truth. Individual condition, height of expectation, knowledge of the seller play important roles, too. Pick up the item in person and inspect it closely - or gamble. I personally have fared well with the gamble, bought cameras and lenses on this forum and on ebay, and have enjoyed the gear immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Baleur View Post
    . . . because the protar double is supposedly made of two elements of four cells. . .
    Why is there nothing but misinformation on the internet?
    Asks the man who has just made the incorrect statement on the internet that "the protar double is supposedly made of two elements of four cells." Now any time someone searches "protar", that little tidbit of misinformation is going to pop up. Forever.

Question answered! The next time you want to get bent about misinformation on the internet, look in the mirror. That's exactly how it happens.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Asks the man who has just made the incorrect statement on the internet that "the protar double is supposedly made of two elements of four cells." Now any time someone searches "protar", that little tidbit of misinformation is going to pop up. Forever.

Question answered! The next time you want to get bent about misinformation on the internet, look in the mirror. That's exactly how it happens.
    AMEN Brother! I had typed out the same sentiment and decided to just let it go. But then I read your post and see my feeling on his post match yours EXACTLY. You have to research study and learn then buy. I mean if your confusing elements w/ cells and the Balsam is dried out NOT rotted. It's a Double Protar or series VIIa not protar double. Not 2 elements w/ four cells. Two cells w/ four elements glued together in each cell.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    It's worth what you're prepared to pay for it, be aware they can suffer badly from separation which can be seen around the edges in the photo. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $100 unless it was in excellent condition.

It should be 12" both cells, and Front cell 21", Rear cell 28"

Ian
    Actually there were several combinations of focal lengths, not just this one. Not all will cover 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Actually there were several combinations of focal lengths, not just this one. Not all will cover 8x10.
    The OPs lens is marked 8x10 and f7. It's a 12-19-25. The 12-21-28 is f6.8. Both of those combinations (and all permutations of the 4 cells) will cover 8x10. Any TR triple with cells shorter than 19 will not cover 8x10.

Dan

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    This is the later version of 25" & 19.5" cells to make a 12" f7 lens to cover 8x10 & was manufactured in Fairport N.Y.

Versus the earlier version of 28" & 19.5" cells to make a 12" f6.8 lens to cover 8x10 and manufactured in Rochester N.Y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    The OPs lens is marked 8x10 and f7. It's a 12-19-25. The 12-21-28 is f6.8. Both of those combinations (and all permutations of the 4 cells) will cover 8x10. Any TR triple with cells shorter than 19 will not cover 8x10.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    Sometimes, nothing can replace personal experience.

When buying cars of 20+ years or lenses 100+ years, general information on the type and brand is only half the truth.
    At lease no one can re-wire a lens in surprising ways

I have had a couple of these lenses an found them to perform well. As Charis Weston noted in her book "Through Another Lens"; for the Guggenheim travels, Edward (Weston) had a Turner Reich 12-21-28 inch lens. he did quite well with it.

here is the last one I used from a few years ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0286 web.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	126893