Thread: Potassium Bromide and Vintage Printing Paper

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Potassium Bromide and Vintage Printing Paper

I have this HUGE stash of very old, very vintage printing paper. All kinds, all sizes. Literally a bit of everythingl Problem is with a stash like this, much of it is quite old and with age comes fogging. Additionally much of it is Grade 2, which when you add the fog makes it like a Grade 1-ish. VERY flat.

I have been reading about Potassium Bromide and the ability for it to act as a restrainer in the development for the highlights. Problem is, I'm not sure exactly how to use it. I have some dilutions to try, but have yet to read anyone's real-life experience as to how it worked. So...looking for any suggestions and/or experience.

Help and thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photopaperstash.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	126728

Re: Potassium Bromide and Vintage Printing Paper

Kimberly- this question will have many answers.. I will take a stab.. Potassium Bromide will not help much- that is to say you may still not be satisfied with the results... I know in similar circumstances I have tried to used old paper , only to be unhappy with the results.. basically all these prints go into the bin..

But on the other hand you can get great results with old paper by printing using the Lith process where a bit of pre fog is sometimes desirable.
    Also if you are like me , you may use this paper for solarization. and once you flash the paper you have may have paper that is the cats ass for this process.

Also many workers here do carbon transfer printing and your stash if fixed , hypo cleared and properly washed would be a gold mine for many.

But there is nothing better IMHO for straight up enlarger printing than fresh Ilford paper.

Bob

You should give each box of paper a trial prior to adding anything. Some are able to survive long term storage w/o noticeable fogging. Those which are lightly fogged can usually be revived through the addition of sodium benzotriazole. I keep a 5% solution available for the purpose. Usually a few ml per liter of developer is sufficient. I don't use a bromide because it is not as effective and it adds a slight green cast. Slightly fogged papers are handy for printing those negatives with over-exposed highlights, in fact many worker re-fog papers to prevent having to make excessive or difficult burns of the highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Anderson View Post
    I have this HUGE stash of very old, very vintage printing paper. All kinds, all sizes. Literally a bit of everythingl Problem is with a stash like this, much of it is quite old and with age comes fogging. Additionally much of it is Grade 2, which when you add the fog makes it like a Grade 1-ish. VERY flat.

I have been reading about Potassium Bromide and the ability for it to act as a restrainer in the development for the highlights. Problem is, I'm not sure exactly how to use it. I have some dilutions to try, but have yet to read anyone's real-life experience as to how it worked. So...looking for any suggestions and/or experience.

Help and thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photopaperstash.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	126728
    That's quite the stash!! Very Promethean of you to try to resurrect that old paper.

How much a developer additive will help is totally subjective. You could either make up a 10% potassium bromide solution and add 10ml per litre to your working developer or use a 1% solution of benzotriazole and add 0.5ml per litre to your developer. This is what's suggested but you can manipulate however you wish.

The potassium bromide will yield warmer tones and the benzotriazole will produce cooler tones.

Hope this helps!

Michael

At least the old Azo you have there should be fine without and developer additives!

With a stash like that you need to check out this thread on APUG:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...per-again.html
    Apug user Rlibersky has started a few interesting threads regarding old papers.
    Good luck and Have Fun!!!

Your paper storage area is larger than my darkroom - lol
    Film, the consistent file format for over a century.

Sure it's all paper ? I seem to detect copyproof material of AGFA as well as some Kodak film boxes. In my experience nor Kodak nor relative recent Agfa paper ages very well, they fog quite fast with age. Ilford is a better bet. Benzotriazole is the route to go.

Have fun,

Cor