Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caltar II-N 300mm vs. Nikkor W 300mm

Caltar II-N 300mm vs. Nikkor W 300mm

Hi all,

I heard, Caltar and Rodenstock are from the same manufacturer?
    Let's bring Rodenstock APO Sironar (N, S W) into play...

Which lens would you choose and why...?

Thanks.

Current Caltars are made by Rodenstock. IINM, Caltar-N lenses are the same as Sironar N.

I choose Caltar. Why? Because a Rodenstock by any other name, is half price...

Alan,
    What about sharpness Nikon, Caltar? Is there any diference between Caltar and Rodenstock?

Not exactly a valid comparison but...

at work I use a 210mm Sinaron (Rodenstock Sironar). At home I have a 180mm Nikkor-W. They are both superb optics. You can't go wrong with either brand.

Over the years, Caltar lenses have been made by different manufacturers. Current ones are Rodenstock lenses. Kerry Thalmann published an article in View Camera Magazine which tells you all about Caltar lenses. You may also be able to find it on the web if you do some searching.

peter...

another thing to consider is the resale value of the lenses. if you are planning on keeping the lens forever, this point is moot. there are very few lenses i would know that i was going to have for the long haul before testing them. the caltar lenses don't seem to hold their value as much as the rodenstock ones. just something to think about.

if you're looking for comments on specific lenses, of those to which you're referring, i have a 150 Rodenstock APO Sironar-S which is great... small, contrasty, and very sharp - there's not much else you could ask for.

i also have a collection fujinon lenses which are the equal of any german lens i own. give jim at midwest photo a call and pick his brain a bit. he's usually got a nice supply of like new lenses on hand.

Octogenarian

Hi Peter,

Are you sure you don't mean the Nikkor 300M??
    The Nikkor 300W is a huge, heavy weight lens, mounted in a Copal 3 shutter. The 300M is a compact lens, mounted in a Copal 1 shutter. Both of those Nikkors
    are outstanding lens. Also take a look at a new, or previously owned, Fujinon 300C, at Midwest Photo Supply (IMHO, an even better lens). For the most part, Caltar lenses (rebadged Rodenstocks) are lower priced and have a lower re-sale value.

Eugene,

No I meant Nikkor 300 W. Both lens, or all lens I mentioned here are huge I know. For my selection of lens, I am starting in 8x10 which these lenses seems to be huge for it, but they are sharper towards the center of the lens, so sharper-better. Also it gives me an opportunity to go up, if I decide it to go there like 7x17 or so.

My intention is to buy lens for a long time. No trades for other. I am actualy willing to pay even more than usual, because it is only one time buy. On the other side, to buy cheaper than new is the way I look forward to it.

So, huge 300 mm lens is one of them. Nikkor W, Caltar II-N, Fujinon CM W or AS or W, Rodenstock APO Sironar S or W, Schneider APO Symmar.

So, price to quality and sharpness is one consideration and filter size is another one. My final decision is between Rodenstock W and Nikkor W.

Because, my decision is based on stats and research, I would appreciate any experience comments.

Thank you.

One more thing to add to my previous thoughts.
    There are other focal distances like 210mm, 240mm, 360mm and 480 mm, but I assume it is still the same game.

Or, is there a difference among them regarding the focus ranges (i.e 240 Rodenstock, 480 Nikkor or so...)?

Pete.