Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

Re: Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Soooo I have been publicly skeptical of this sale on a couple of forums including Facebook. Yesterday I received this email:

What i find funny about this is the assumption that mentioning the lawyer precludes this being a scam as if no lawyer would participate in a scam.......
    Is his father a long time collector of his work? I might be able to convince my 95 year old dad into buying one of mine for 7.2 million if I give him until 2050 to pay it off with zero percent interest!
    Thad Gerheim

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    ...Honestly [sic] and profit never go hand in hand.
    You apparently never had the pleasure of conducting business with Dick Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    You apparently never had the pleasure of conducting business with Dick Phillips.
    No i guess i have not but i did meet da man Norman Chompsky once or twice.

A visual tidbit, industrial in nature, pun intended:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgg1SVy6zc

Perhaps demand for images like his will increase with TV screens upgrades. This season Costco is full of UHD or 4K TV and now they are talking about 8K and beyond. If people have 100" diagonal screens hanging in the living room and soon the bedroom, maybe they will want big splashes of color that doesn't move all the time. Meaning still images instead of video. Even now, I leave my 3 small monitors on all the time and Chrome Cast displays an ever changing medley of fantastic images.

Screensavers
    Tin Can

RE 4K and 8K TV: I can see the pixels in 1080P so I guess it's really not going too far.

Drew Wiley

Some of you don't get it yet. The "trick" is that he claims to have sold a version of this image, allegedly an "artist's proof" perhaps, for such and such an amount of money, specifically so he can sell multiple reproductions of said image at a higher than normal prices. But his galleries would probably happily take five grand for one, provided it wasn't absolutely huge with a big framing expense. This is just a routine mode of operation with slimy-slick galleries that I've encountered over and over. Nothing new here. People were doing it long before Kinkade. Whether it is legal or not depends on the specific state laws the work is sold in. And just because neither the FBI and IRS automatically pounce often just means they have other priorities first. It certainly doesn't mean someone isn't potentially in their sights.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Honestly and profit never go hand in hand.
    This is simply not true. Billions of times per day people do the best they can to offer an honest service in exchange for fair compensation. Or sell products at a reasonable rate. You can't suggest that the average person is like our politicians (on both sides) or multinational corporations or some minuscule percentage of the populous.

And that would be "Noam Chomsky"...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I am with Lenny here... they do go hand in hand... but ones profit is curtailed a bit by ones honesty, but there is something to be said about a clean honest approach to business.

I have been self employed for 24 years now.. I strive to be honest with my clients... My long term relationships with them provides me the income to live a decent life. One cannot have a decent income without profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    This is simply not true. Billions of times per day people do the best they can to offer an honest service in exchange for fair compensation. Or sell products at a reasonable rate. You can't suggest that the average person is like our politicians (on both sides) or multinational corporations or some minuscule percentage of the populous.

And that would be "Noam Chomsky"...

Lenny

The link reads like a promotional ploy. Announcing what others are buying his framed prints for may influence unsophisticated in art though rich clients to swallow such spin. A decade ago while on one of my spring wildflower trips to Carrizo Plain National Monument, I ran into a confused photographer at an obscure dirt road location where I was about to head up into remote areas almost no others know about.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/10-H-10.jpg

He essentially related he was "scouting" locations for Peter Lik and was surprised I had never heard of him but was informed he makes millions each year from a gallery in Las Vegas. That Mr Lik was eager to find special aesthetic locations all over the world. Somewhat against my usual nature, I let him tag along despite the fact he had no water bottle, as waterless he soon had no choice but to turn around despite being overwhelmed by the colorful landscapes.

I essentially told him unless Mr Lik visited that place in the next few days, that the blooms would soon fade, then it might be years before another big bloom like this, and even then the window to being there at peak like this was not easily discerned, nor would I ever be divulging its secrets to others.

As to Mr Lik's work later upon searching the web, I noted he did have some fine images, likely has developed reasonably good craft at what he does, and knows what his audience wants. That although his work was not as impressive as numbers of others, he apparently hit (Vegas) jackpot marketing his work, so congrats on that score. Just another of many many examples in the art world of how financial success for artists often have very little to do with the quality of an artist's work. Well at least until they are too old or dead to benefit from such.