Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can somebody explain this camera to me?

Can somebody explain this camera to me?

Looking to treat myself for my birthday by making the jump from MF to LF. been looking at this camera on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wista-45-Lar...item3f4073d54d

Is this a good starter camera? This doesn't have a rangefinder, right? How necessary is a rangefinder? I don't really know what focusing on one of these is like, so I don't know the difference. Is that a 90mm lens on it? Is anyone else sketched out that this is a listing that doesn't even bother to include that info? As you can see I am generally lost and any info on this camera and what else I would need to get started with the camera would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to large format and don't know a whole lot about it at the moment.

Thanks

Re: Can somebody explain this camera to me?

This doesn't have a rangefinder, right? How necessary is a rangefinder?
    It is a rangefinder. A rangefinder is very useful for persons who do not use perspective controls. I sometimes use a Linhof Super Technika in that manner.

That said, the camera in question is limited in the lenses it can use with its rangefinder compared to the Super Technika, but that one is priced far below a Super Technika V or later.

If I were looking again, I would consider it. If the rangefinder does not work properly, it is just an oversized LF camera.

Good luck.

by perspective controls, do you mean tilt/shifting? the rangefinder doesn't accurately focus when tilt/shifting I take it? so do you just take a loupe to the ground glass to focus without a rangefinder? do you know if the camera has good movement? I'm trying to figure what model it is, wista 45 is pretty general.

Quote Originally Posted by jzakko View Post
    by perspective controls, do you mean tilt/shifting? the rangefinder doesn't accurately focus when tilt/shifting I take it? so do you just take a loupe to the ground glass to focus without a rangefinder? do you know if the camera has good movement? I'm trying to figure what model it is, wista 45 is pretty general.
    The rangefinder does not see shift/tilt. The rangefinder is really for straight-on, no perspective control work.
    I cannot comment upon its perspective controls because I have not used one.

OUCH!

The camera in the eBay listing that you linked is not a Wista at all, nor is it a 4x5. It is a Horseman 970, which is a 6x9 cm camera that accepts either 2.25x3.25" cut sheet film holders or 120 roll film holders to make 6x7 cm or 6x9 cm pictures. The outfit evidently includes two old-style Horseman rollholders. The lens appears to be a 9 cm Horseman/Topcor lens, which is intended for 120 roll film and produces a view just on the wide side of normal when used for 6x9 cm. This camera cannot use 4x5 film unless you add one of the Horseman 4x5 adapter backs.

I don't know why a Wista instruction manual is included in the kit - it is largely irrelevant as the Horseman 6x9 cm cameras have many design differences compared to the Wista metal 4x5 cameras.

Read this before you buy a camera: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Welcome to the forum!

I have one of those. Real bad choice for a first camera, unless you love that stuff like I do. It is a 970 Horseman just as Oren says.

It is very heavy, it is much more worn than the one I bought in excellent condition from KEH.

It does not have a rotating back for vertical portraits as the newer VHR does.

It is not large format.

If everything IS PERFECT sure, but it is not a beginners camera, nor is it an experts camera. It's odd. I have 2...
    Tin Can

Have you seen this 4x5 Wista on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/0042-EXCELLE...3D271664272717

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    OUCH!

The camera in the eBay listing that you linked is not a Wista at all, nor is it a 4x5. It is a Horseman 970, which is a 6x9 cm camera that accepts either 2.25x3.25" cut sheet film holders or 120 roll film holders to make 6x7 cm or 6x9 cm pictures. The outfit evidently includes two old-style Horseman rollholders. The lens appears to be a 9 cm Horseman/Topcor lens, which is intended for 120 roll film and produces a view just on the wide side of normal when used for 6x9 cm. This camera cannot use 4x5 film unless you add one of the Horseman 4x5 adapter backs.

I don't know why a Wista instruction manual is included in the kit - it is largely irrelevant as the Horseman 6x9 cm cameras have many design differences compared to the Wista metal 4x5 cameras.
    I notified the eBay seller what you said and suggested they cancel the listing.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have one of those. Real bad choice for a first camera, unless you love that stuff like I do. It is a 970 Horseman just as Oren says.

It is very heavy, it is much more worn than the one I bought in excellent condition from KEH.

It does not have a rotating back for vertical portraits as the newer VHR does.

It is not large format.

If everything IS PERFECT sure, but it is not a beginners camera, nor is it an experts camera. It's odd. I have 2...
    I have often wondered about these cameras...so if not beginners or experts camera who would use it?
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne