Thread: Exhibit at University of New Mexico: Sites of North Kohala

Exhibit at University of New Mexico: Sites of North Kohala

University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, Maxwell Museum 2/20/15 - 3/28/15 (perhaps a month longer) See more info at this site: http://janbecket.net/wordpress/?p=1652

For those who live in the vicinity, this is an exhibit of 48 of my B&W pieces taken on 4X5 film (TMX 100) developed in Pyrocat HD and then scanned and printed on Epson Cold Press Natural matte with the Eboni 6 black inkset. The camera was an Ebony 45 SVU. Most of the shots were made with a Rodenstock 75 f/4.5 Grandagon.

These are images of pre-contact Hawaiian stone structures, mostly ceremonial. A few are of house sites and agricultural systems. The images were made roughly between 2004-10 on summer visits to North Kohala on Hawai'i Island, coordinated with the North Kohala summer field school in archaeology. A few images from the exhibit are up on my site: www.janbecket.net

Re: Exhibit at University of New Mexico: Sites of North Kohala

I live in Albuquerque and will for sure go to see this exhibit. It looks very interesting. Unfortunately I can't make the opening as we have an opening the same time up at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design of Caponigro's work that I need to be at.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Congrats to Jan on what looks like really important work. Both look like great shows. If I get to make a run to NM this Spring I want to spend a little time in both.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8921.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	129297
    Staircase, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I live in Albuquerque and will for sure go to see this exhibit. It looks very interesting. Unfortunately I can't make the opening as we have an opening the same time up at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design of Caponigro's work that I need to be at.
    Hi Kirk,

The Caponigro exhibit is one I definitely want to see - Iʻm delighted the work will be up while I am there, and wish I could be at the opening ... were it not for my own.

The North Kohala opening talk at Maxwell is by Michael Graves (UNM Prof. of Anthropology) - on the ritual cultural landscapes of Kohala. It should be excellent.