Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packard shutter with history written inside!

Packard shutter with history written inside!

Ok, not that exciting, but today I opened up another Packard shutter and found something different. Well 2 new things. First this shutter was paper lined and I had yet to see this. Maybe a modification, maybe a good idea, maybe OE?

But the cool part was all the repair dates inside starting with 'new blades 1935', then more dates, 1942, 1944 and 1949. I love this sort of thing.

I did my dust removal, drilled out the instantaneous plug hole as I now always do, so I can insert a pin from either side. I also added flash sync micro switch. More on that in a different post later tonight here on LF DIY channel.

Then I wrote my own note inside and dated it.

It's a time capsule and will be going inside my Studio Deardorff shortly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN5835.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	125942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-DSCN5836.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	125943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-DSCN5841.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	125944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-DSCN5842.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	125945
    Tin Can

Re: Packard shutter with history written inside!

Interesting Randy - continuing the Clockmakers tradition.

BUT, the frequency of servicing/repair is a bit alarming - unless it was preventative maintenance!

Some of my packards came with a cardboard liner, my guess was that it acted as a shim to keep the blades close together and act as a slip sheet for the blades.

The frequency of repairs doesn't seem that alarming, when you consider the blades are that vulcanoid type material
    you could almost surmise the original owners use of the shutter, from 1942 to 1944 they were really busy !

The earliest date is 1935 for blade replacement, how old could a Packard shutter be of this design?

I agree they may have nervously been opening these things for inspection and PM during WWII prior to critical missions. Lives may have been at stake.

I opened it to check condition and figure out why it had oddness at the aperture which turned out to be backed paper. I touched up the black.

My mission is not critical, but installing a working shutter inside my Studio camera is important to me. This is my 3rd Packard installed and in use.

Here is the Packard Shutter website. They provide the best bulb and tube available. I want to buy a new 4-1/2" Packard. I'll sync it myself.
    Tin Can

I have not seen the paper lining, but have seen pencilled dates for repair/cleaning, and add my own note when I work on them.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Doug Kerr noted here that Packard Ideal shutters were intro'd in the late 1800's
    so they've been around for more than a century. The 1935 date could be the manufacture date not a service date since it's scribed on the shutter leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Doug Kerr noted here that Packard Ideal shutters were intro'd in the late 1800's
    so they've been around for more than a century. The 1935 date could be the manufacture date not a service date since it's scribed on the shutter leaf.
    Hard to read from my image, but the 1935 date was preceded by 'new blades' Another blade had a newer date.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Thanks for the Doug Kerr link, a very thorough discussion of all aspects of the Packard shutter. Every user should read it. I wish I had 2 years ago,..

I have chatted with the new owner by telephone, he says he still sells plenty of the Packard's to industrial and astronomical users. Seldom to us...

As I have stated before, I find the NOS rubber bulbs and hose much better than anything else. I have bought 3 from Reno Farinelli the new owner.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have chatted with the new owner by telephone, he says he still sells plenty of the Packard's to industrial and astronomical users. Seldom to us...
    I got one from him year and half ago. Took a bit to get built.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    I got one from him year and half ago. Took a bit to get built.
    What size?
    Tin Can