Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Identifying Camera

Need Help Identifying Camera

Hello everyone. My name is Josh and I'm new to the forums here. I've been shooting 35 mm and medium format for a while, and am just starting out in my large format adventure, but very excited about it. Anyways, the other day I was poking around in a consignment shop near where I live and came across this camera. The price was pretty good, and I've always loved vintage cameras, so I decided to pick it up. It was absolutely filthy, looks like it hasn't been opened up and used in years, but other than that seems to be in pretty good shape. Appears to be 5x7. I couldn't find any markings on it at all to indicate who made it or when it was made, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out with that! It came with a Wollensak lens dated August 13, 1912 as well as an undated Kodak viewing lens. Anyways, I'd love to learn more about the history of this camera if I can. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8323.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	125769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8325.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	125770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8327.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	125771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8328.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	125772

Re: Need Help Identifying Camera

It looks kind of like an Ansco to me.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've got an Ansco 8x10 sitting here. There were different models but I think you may have something else.

I do know where John is coming from though.

Well that's at least somewhere to start. Thanks! I was looking through some databases of different cameras from different makers, but with no starting point it was a total shot in the dark. Just doing a quick search of Ansco cameras, I do see stylistic similarities in the construction and design of the hardware, but as I said, I'm totally new to this. It seems to be of decently good quality, though nothing spectacular. But I really have nothing to compare it to. I've been working on cleaning up the wood, but the metal is proving more difficult. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to clean it up without damaging anything?

Could be early Burke & James camera.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Thanks! I'll have to look into some of their cameras. Poking around a bit more, I did find B-281 written in pencil on the back of the ground glass frame, and the same number stamped under on of the hinges on the frame. Not sure what (if anything) that means, but thought I'd mention it.

You know in some ways it looks like an Ansco and in some ways it doesn't. I believe that Ansco was made in New York.

I would try Brasso on the metal parts. Remove them first. For the tough spots you might try steel wool. On my Ansco (which was filthy) I left the metal parts alone except for a wipe. I didn't want to ruin the patina. I used a wood cleaner and polisher in one to help the wood.

I bought my Ansco for the lens that came with it and plan on flipping the camera since I all ready own an 8x10.

Thanks for the tips on the metal. I'll have to give that a try. I'm not sure yet if I'll try using the camera or not. I would love to, but I'm currently setting myself up with a 4x5 system, and I'm just not sure I can afford to shoot both formats right now. The bellows are shot and would need to be replaced. The lens also isn't working, unfortunately; the shutter doesn't trigger. Might try having a CLA done somewhere if it's not too pricey.

If you are going to sell it then I wouldn't put much into it. These old tailboard cameras don't go for much. I wouldn't pay to CLA the lens if I planned on selling it. You won't recoup the money.

I'm not planning on selling it. I'm sure I'll get around to using it sometime. I enjoy cleaning/restoring old cameras, so it will make for a fun project in the meantime.