Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for Toyo 810M

Re: Backpack for Toyo 810M

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I have the F64 large for my 810M. My current setup is the camera, a 375mm Caltar 6.3, a 159mm WA Wollensak and a 19" Artar. I get 3 film holders and the focusing cloth in with it as well. Then I have my wife carry it because it's heavy.
    Michael. The shoulder harness and waist belt system on that f64 pack don't look very solid/supportive. What is your experience?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I have an older model LowePro Super Trekker AW. It holds my Kodak 3D with three film holders and the other stuff. Tripod straps on to the side. I used to carry this rig around, but now have mobility issues. The PowePro packs and bags are well designed and well made. The newer models have refinements in shoulder strap and waist-belt construction. I am sure that there is a size that will work for you.

One time I was traceling by air with a full 4x5 kit in that LowePro backpack as an over-head carryon. The connecting flight was an un-expected regional turbo-prop with no overhead space. It had to be gate checked and was tossed (I saw it happen) into the hold. Everything inside arrived intact. I'd buy another.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thank you, Drew, Lowepro is always an option if the newer models are hard to come by or too expensive.
    I try to support as many different companies as possible, especially if they're smaller, lesser-known companies, but my Lowepro rolling case is the only one that could hold my 8x10 and all the other gear, so I went with the big company for that purchase.

Rather than hijack this discussion I posted a thread with some pictures and thoughts on the EVOC pack.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-format-camera

Carpenter

I'm shooting a Calumet C1 and was having trouble finding a pack for it. I had found a cheap padded nylon bag in the bargain bin of a local camera shop that fit the camera very snuggly. Then we went on a field trip to the sporting goods box store. Tried all the larger packs. The Kelty Coyote 80L fit it very well.
    The pack is large but is very well built. I pack the dark cloth first for extra padding, then the camera in case, and finally lenses, meter, shutter release, etc in a small bag on top. 8x10 holders are in a laptop case and fit perfect in the front pocket. Fully loaded the pack weighs a lot but with the suspension system it's easily neutralized. It has plenty of room left in the side pockets for water, food, a tarp (to set everything on when unloading).
    I need a different setup for lenses and accessories, but right now it works very well and keeps me from hating life trying to deal with crappy shoulder strap systems of typical "photo" backpacks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417281873.773281.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	125735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417281899.493935.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	125736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417281914.962745.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	125737

Nice set-up, and big backpack. Looks like you have enough room left over to hide a fully-grown leprechaun.
    So comfort over capacity seems to be the rule.
    Thanks, SF!

Here's a blog post with pictures and comments on using a PhotoBackpacker P3 with a large 8x10 field camera: http://peterdesmidt.com/blog/?p=819
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks, Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Michael. The shoulder harness and waist belt system on that f64 pack don't look very solid/supportive. What is your experience?
    Sorry to butt-in on the conversation, but in my experience with the F.64 XL backpack, the waist belt is decently supportive, but the shoulder harness and chest strap are pretty weak. Load any more than 10 lbs. in the top compartment of that pack and get ready for some back and shoulder strain. I've modified my F.64 for better top-end support, but it's only a temporary fix while I source a bag that won't kill my back. x__X

I gave my new P3 a good test this week and it was the best photo backpack I have ever tried. Going out again tomorrow to the Bisti.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"