Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for Toyo 810M

Backpack for Toyo 810M

Hi all,

I find myself wanting to get away from the pavement a little more these days, and setting up for outdoor portraits is harder with a rolling case, on certain terrain.
    I don't know from backpacks at all, so I am turning to the forum for some good suggestions.

I contacted Bruce a Photobackpacker about something for my Toyo, and unfortunately, he no longer had any inserts for the Toyo 810M.
    The 810M is a little larger than a normal 8x10, I believe it is 15" x 15" x 6" including knobs, which meant that Bruce could not help me, unfortunately.

So I am looking for any other suggestions, new or used, for a backpack.
    Contents: Toyo 810M, 2-3 lenses on Technika boards, cable releases, light meter, loupe. And as many 8x10 holders as will fit, if that's at all possible.

Thanks in advance

Re: Backpack for Toyo 810M

Ari,

The pack is so comfortable that you may want to consider just wrapping the camera and taking advantage of all of the other aspects of his excellent backpack. You may be able to find a suitable carry case for the Toyo elsewhere.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

I have the F64 large for my 810M. My current setup is the camera, a 375mm Caltar 6.3, a 159mm WA Wollensak and a 19" Artar. I get 3 film holders and the focusing cloth in with it as well. Then I have my wife carry it because it's heavy.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Hi Ari,

I carry mine in an EVOC Photo Pack. I like this pack because it's well made, rugged and fits really well for activities like mountain biking. It will carry everything you ask but the downside is there isn't room to carry a huge amount of film holders. I normally carry 2 holders at a time although it is possible to squeeze in a few more.

Also, they are definitely not cheap.

If you are interested I can post a few pics or maybe a video.

Regards,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Ari,

The pack is so comfortable that you may want to consider just wrapping the camera and taking advantage of all of the other aspects of his excellent backpack. You may be able to find a suitable carry case for the Toyo elsewhere.
    Jim, that's not a bad idea; I'm surprised that neither I nor Bruce thought of that. Will email him again, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I have the F64 large for my 810M. My current setup is the camera, a 375mm Caltar 6.3, a 159mm WA Wollensak and a 19" Artar. I get 3 film holders and the focusing cloth in with it as well. Then I have my wife carry it because it's heavy.
    I'm always in favour of any kind of heavy lifting being done by others.

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Hi Ari,

I carry mine in an EVOC Photo Pack. I like this pack because it's well made, rugged and fits really well for activities like mountain biking. It will carry everything you ask but the downside is there isn't room to carry a huge amount of film holders. I normally carry 2 holders at a time although it is possible to squeeze in a few more.

Also, they are definitely not cheap.

If you are interested I can post a few pics or maybe a video.

Regards,
    Anthony
    Hi Anthony,
    I'd like to consider anything, so yes, please post anything you can (without going to any extra trouble).
    The EVOCs look excellent, what size and model do you use for your 810M (CP35l?) ?
    And I hope the small ball head is treating you right.
    Thanks!

I'll post something this evening. I've been meaning to post a review of the pack anyways as I think it's a good option for large format shooters.

The ball head is great. Just what I was looking for, I have a really lightweight tripod setup now for packing around.

I'll post something this evening. I've been meaning to post a review of the pack anyways as I think it's a good option for large format shooters.
    That would be great, Anthony, thank you.

The ball head is great. Just what I was looking for, I have a really lightweight tripod setup now for packing around.
    Doubleplusgood!

Hi Ari. This is not a backpack but it can do light off-roading. I use one with my Wehman. I also have a cheap soft side vinyl cooler that will sit on top of it and carry extra lenses and film holders.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-55.../dp/B00BZXA35I

I don't know if this will work for you but I wanted to let you know about it.

Hi Alan,
    Yes, I saw that in another thread, and that rolling case looks great; I may consider it instead of my Lowepro for the dirtier, dustier, muddier areas.
    Thank you!