Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ball Head for Large Format?

Re: Ball Head for Large Format?

8x10 requires a very good-quality ball head, save your pennies and get the best head possible.
    One good ball head is worth four mediocre ball heads, so there's no point in trying to get by with the cheapest option.

Drew Wiley

Snipe back at me if you wish. But I happen to have a ballhead that makes even a movie fluid head look like a toy. I use it for yaw correction on the lens standard
    of my 8x10 color enlarger. But it's micrometer-driven (all axis) machined forged solid bronze, that was intended for calibrating BIG gun aim in WWII, so well built is an understatement. Would cost a small fortune to make today. But I got it for free, military surplus.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Snipe back at me if you wish. But I happen to have a ballhead that makes even a movie fluid head look like a toy. I use it for yaw correction on the lens standard
    of my 8x10 color enlarger. But it's micrometer-driven (all axis) machined forged solid bronze, that was intended for calibrating BIG gun aim in WWII, so well built is an understatement. Would cost a small fortune to make today. But I got it for free, military surplus.
    Well I'm certainly envious Drew. Please don't tell me that you also own a Norden bomb sight lest I turn an even deeper shade of green.

Any markings as to who the maker was? A picture would be nice.

David

Drew Wiley

There were no markings at all. I didn't even know what the hell it was, though it looked like exactly what I needed. I showed my dad, who was a ship inspector in
    WWII, and he identified it. Yeah, the thing is heavy, but probably less heavy than fluid heads or some official ballheads intended for big camera, and it sure as heck would adjust more easily and precisely. It had been painted typical military green, though I repainted it to match the rest of my enlarger with some super
    duty black machinery stuff that I can't get anymore due to smog regulations. But heck, maybe there are some more of these things out there that someone could
    use on a tripod!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    8x10 requires a very good-quality ball head, save your pennies and get the best head possible.
    One good ball head is worth four mediocre ball heads, so there's no point in trying to get by with the cheapest option.
    You are right.

Building an 8x10 camera outfit is like building a house. You want to start with a firm foundation. Without a firm foundation you have nothing. I'd rather own an 8x10 with one lens and a good tripod and head then a camera with 3 or 4 lenses with a lousy tripod and/or head.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Well I'm certainly envious Drew. Please don't tell me that you also own a Norden bomb sight lest I turn an even deeper shade of green.

Any markings as to who the maker was? A picture would be nice.

David
    Drew will never show a picture, you'll get used to it, he's met presidents and owns every lens you could ever imagine, he is never wrong and knows more about printing than all the kodak people combined.

This is sarcasm, and don't believe 1/10th of what you read on the Internet, and less from this Wiley Coyote... It's all a big farce.

Drew Wiley

You're back on Ignore for awhile again, Stone. Probably not for long. Just depends..... Get out and take some pictures and do some printing yourself. Maybe you'll
    learn something useful.

Ball Head for Large Format?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You're back on Ignore for awhile again, Stone. Probably not for long. Just depends..... Get out and take some pictures and do some printing yourself. Maybe you'll
    learn something useful.
    From last week's batch of 8x10

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416611538.279073.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	125390

Printed recently

FB

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416611639.390442.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	125391

RC

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416611735.090932.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	125392

A lot of my printing lately has been smaller than large-format, but I've still been shooting and printing...

Now show yours

EDIT: both prints from 4x5 negatives, and all using a 3 axis non ball head... To keep the post semi-relevant.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416611926.068440.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	125393

Stone, I used a 3047 for a while, and liked it; then I got the 229, which I really liked.
    It all comes down to personal preference with a ball head, some love it, some hate it.
    Which brings me back to my original answer to the OP's question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Ball heads are smaller, lighter and less bulky than 3-way heads; if a ball head can do a good job of keeping things steady, then it's a matter of personal preference whether or not to use a ball head.
    I used a Manfrotto 229 for many years, and loved it, but once I found the right ball head, it added to my enjoyment of shooting, since I could now take the tripod/ball head anywhere, and carry it for hours without complaint as to weight.

With respect to LF, having a ball head that can move one (or more) axis independently is priceless; as far as I know, FLM and Arca-Swiss are the only manufacturers to have introduced such equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ...A lot of my putting lately...To keep the post semi-relevant...
    Is golf even semi-relevant?