Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10" Camera Quality ?

8x10" Camera Quality ?

Hello my friends,

I want to buy a 8x10 Kamera but I´m not sure which company guarantee me a well build Camera.
    Especially the construction of the groundglas level matching the filmplane (Filmholder) for sharp pictures unsettles me.
    I read a lot of posts where this is also be a quality factor of a good build camera.

I will use the Camera only for Landscape Photography from about 120mm to 300mm...but I think I will use 150mm and a 300mm lenses.

What do you think about it... Can you give me some tipps?

Best Michael

Re: 8x10" Camera Quality ?

If you are wanting a field camera for portability and something well made I'd go Chamonix 8x10. Lots of cheaper but heavier monorail cameras available if you want more precise movements but that is sort of unnecessary if you are landscape focused.

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    Especially the construction of the groundglas level matching the filmplane (Filmholder) for sharp pictures unsettles me.
    What kind of holders will you use? I think warped film is a bigger problem than manufacturing tolerances on the camera back. Besides, landscapes are usually shot at f32 or smaller, so depth of focus is your friend.

Hello. You might get a better result if you purchase a used camera manufactured by a reliable camera manufacturer rather than a brand new but cheap camera.

In my case, I couldn't afford a brand new camera manufactured by a famous company such as Sinar and Deardorff. Instead, I purchased a used monorail 8X10 camera manufactured by Plaubel (Makina Profia 8x10). It may not be a famous camera manufacturer but their cameras are very well made. I obtained the camera for a good price (under $1000).

http://www.vipcamera.jp/data/biff/pr...506_9eebe3.jpg

I've been very satisfied with the camera. I've used long exposures 2 times with it (longer than 60 seconds). During the exposure, the camera didn't move at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    great Cameras but at a great big price

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by gorsescent View Post
    Hello. You might get a better result if you purchase a used camera manufactured by a reliable camera manufacturer rather than a brand new but cheap camera.

In my case, I couldn't afford a brand new camera manufactured by a famous company such as Sinar and Deardorff. Instead, I purchased a used monorail 8X10 camera manufactured by Plaubel (Makina Profia 8x10). It may not be a famous camera manufacturer but their cameras are very well made. I obtained the camera for a good price (under $1000).

http://www.vipcamera.jp/data/biff/pr...506_9eebe3.jpg

I've been very satisfied with the camera. I've used long exposures 2 times with it (longer than 60 seconds). During the exposure, the camera didn't move at all.
    yes, I have another, that's a different 10 x 8 Plaubel model, terrific indeed, really solid but way more of a Studio type than one for getting out and about with

andrew

Since it sounds like you are new to 8x10 photography, I would recommend starting out with a used 8x10. If you go used, you can find some good deals on some of the best name brands out there in that size. Do more reading and research first.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    What kind of holders will you use? I think warped film is a bigger problem than manufacturing tolerances on the camera back. Besides, landscapes are usually shot at f32 or smaller, so depth of focus is your friend.
    Depth of field and depth of focus aren't the same thing.

You can't go wrong with metal; a Toyo 810M (first generation) can be had for about $1200-$1800, and Toyo 8x10 holders are the best.