Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Site Running Slowly?

Re: Site Running Slowly?

I'm not sure whether this should be a separate thread, but the fact that the site was down again this morning (it's been happening relatively frequently recently) made me wonder whether we could address the issue of funding and perhaps moving to a more robust server? As I understand it, we are "free" thanks to the generosity of the site's original founder. Perhaps a voluntary membership fee (similar to APUG) would allow us to effectively buy greater reliability, or am I way off-base?

I'd be in favour of such an initiative, and I'd be happy to donate something in order to ensure less server trouble.
    I'd also be happy if this were kept strictly voluntary, I wouldn't want to discourage membership or participation.

I'd be in favor of that approach too, but would not want to see/deal with the same kind of ads and nags about sending money.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    It's falling over, again unfortunately.

Ian
    + 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    I believe the sluggishness of the system may be due to the system backup now extending into the early morning hours due to the size of the database.
    OK, so why not purge the database? You could start with the For Sale section. After something is sold allow the seller to delete the thread. Then if it is not deleted, automagically dump it after six months or a year.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    OK, so why not purge the database? You could start with the For Sale section. After something is sold allow the seller to delete the thread. Then if it is not deleted, automagically dump it after six months or a year.
    Terrible idea (no offense!). The sales there are highly valuable for people looking to buy their first camera--gives them a clear idea of prices and what is available--and is also invaluable in pricing things for sale. You can see what it sold for before.

I'm also happy to offer $$$ to help if needed.

--Darin

2 Bit Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'd be in favour of such an initiative, and I'd be happy to donate something in order to ensure less server trouble.
    I'd also be happy if this were kept strictly voluntary, I wouldn't want to discourage membership or participation.
    +1
    Regards

Marty

Preston Birdwell

I might be into this, as well. I do think that what we'd need to know the cost and then ascertain if a sufficient amount of donations could be gathered to cover it.

(The site was down earlier today for me, too.)

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

In my opinion, everyone perturbed by occasional outages, both those posting here and in a similar thread at APUG, really should make donations. To a cheese fund. So they'll have something to go with their whine.

Give it up folks. The absolute best part of this site is its non-commercial nature. At those times when you can't access it, get a life. Use your large format cameras to make some exposures.

No one is whining. We're just trying to offer ways to make things better and we're willing to put our money where our mouths are.