Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everyone loves a mystery

Everyone loves a mystery

Here's the available evidence. I'm hoping you super sleuth's can tell me what went wrong.

Purchased a lovely old Graflex 4X5 complete with Cooke Series II 6 inch lens for a whopping $76 bucks. At first I was going to rob the lens and chuck the rest thinking it was surely one of the 3 1/2X5 1/4 ones that's nearly impossible to get film or holders for.

Turns out it was an early - ish 4X5. No slot for cable release. Not even the funky hook for pull string to release. Nevermind, it was in fine shape and the curtain seemed willing, so I took the back off and oiled all the axles. It rewarded me by running like new.

Then I purchased some film holders. Those came yesterday, so I promptly loaded with 1986 4162 Ektapan film that I bought as part of a large lot of long expired sheet film on ebay. No provenance at all. The 20 sheets left in the box were floating inside the 3rd box with no remaining protective foil or otherwise envelope. Just loose sheets in the 3rd box.

I shot 10 sheets because that's what fits in the jobo CPP 3005 tank. Rated the film around 200 - ish as I figured it had plenty of film base plus fog because of age. Developed in 11:11:800 PyrocatHD for 8 1/2 mins. at 72 degrees. Fixed etc.

Every sheet displays the "rim" of less developed area around all edges? Haven't seen this before as usually that 3005 tank is "fool" proof.

All guesses welcome. Age? Dual emulsion on Ektapan causing the verso to get less developer along the edges? Or increased stain along the edges? Can post more of the 10 pics if necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img183s.jpg  

2 Bit Hack

Re: Everyone loves a mystery

My guess is that it has something to do with the age of the film and how it was stored. Oxidation or something similar to prolonged exposure to air changing only the edges but not the center. This assumes a certain degree of curl.
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    My guess is that it has something to do with the age of the film and how it was stored. Oxidation or something similar to prolonged exposure to air changing only the edges but not the center. This assumes a certain degree of curl.
    Not curled. But I'm leaning this way myself. Stored in a box out of it's protective envelope in who know's what environment, the emulsion seems to have hardened or died closer to the exposed edges. Here's another one that seems to me to help that theory.

The way the dead area has encroached further on this one could be because it was near the top, or at the top and got even less protection?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img180si.jpg   img180s.jpg  

2 Bit Hack

Well the "curl" comment was just a possible means to have less damage at the center, centers are touching preventing less degradation. I have no idea what it is, oxidation, reduction, biohazard. But I do believe it is the film. Have you tried another film?
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    Have you tried another film?
    Not yet. More fun to come here and ask dumb questions. We'll do some semi-modern in-date film (something made in this century) soon.

Try processing a sheet in a tray. I suspect the film is damaged from age.

For me, the only mystery is what is that car sitting in front of the squatter's shack? Model A?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

That's how all film will look in the future.

You got the first batch.
    Tin Can

1930 Model A?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Try processing a sheet in a tray. I suspect the film is damaged from age.
    I've convinced myself it's old age hardening of the arteries. The film is no good either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    For me, the only mystery is what is that car sitting in front of the squatter's shack? Model A?
    Yessir. 1931

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    That's how all film will look in the future.

You got the first batch.
    Exactly right :~'((