Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arista 400 not on reciprocity app

Re: Arista 400 not on reciprocity app

Quote Originally Posted by alavergh View Post
    So, did you not read the fact that I have too little time and funds to test this film that I don't use as my main film?
    ____

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... But 'Large Format' Photography takes 'Effort, Persistance, Time and Money'.

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”
    ~~ Aldous Huxley, Complete Essays 2, 1926-29. ~~

_________

I like the 35mm idea. I'll have to buy some 35mm though and get it shipped to me before I can do that.

Apparently I've been failing on my 35mm developing. I'm guessing there's a leak in my developing canister because my film base has been a little darker than I'd like it, still, that probably won't matter too much.

With 35mm, would I basically just take a shot of a flat surface at a shutter speed that isn't affected by reciprocity failure and then take more shots for the same EV at what? Random guessed exposures and then compare on a contact sheet?

Does anybody have an idea as to why this Arista edu 400 film is not on the chat but so many other films are?

Anybody actually use this film that would like to share what they usually do?
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

For those who may be interested:

It only takes two sheets to accurately test for reciprocity failure. As density will be lost first in the shadow areas, pick an appropriate scene for your test. I use my old white pick-up truck flatly illuminated in full sun. The exposure for film rated at 100 would be about 1/60th at f16. No danger of recipricity failure with that exposure, so I make a reference negative. I have lenses that close down to f128 and I can add a polarizer for two more stops of neutral density. So now I am at 4 seconds, and according to the charts should see obvious reciprocity failure.

For the seond sheet, I pull the slide out on the 8X10 and expose for four seconds. Then I put the slide back in about three inches and expose for one second. Now I move the slide in an inch at a time and expose for one second each time, like a test strip. I will have exposures from four seconds to nine seconds

After both negatives are processed together, I make a "proper proof" contact print of each negative. I look at the shadow area underneath the truck and find the exposure on the test strip that most closely matches the 1/60th second exposure negative. If you have good continuous lighting conditions on a heavy overcast day, you can extend the range of the test much further.