Thread: David Prifti tintypes at Concord Art Association

David Prifti tintypes at Concord Art Association

Just a heads-up for those in the neighborhood, that nine of the late David Prifti's tintypes are being shown as part of a group exhibition at the Concord Art Association, Concord, MA:

http://concordart.org/exhibitions/20...ulous/open.php

Samples from the show here:

http://concordart.org/exhibitions/20...bum/index.html

Zebra

Re: David Prifti tintypes at Concord Art Association

One of the greatest of friends I have had the pleasure to get to know. Thanks Oren for posting. You won't be disappointed if you live near by or are in the area for other reasons.

You may also see more of David's wonderful work at

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/david-prifti

and

www.masterplaters.com

Monty

Thanks for the extra links, Monty. I had the pleasure of seeing the show earlier this evening. His untimely passing was a great loss indeed.

Zebra

Indeed Oren. His passing as an artist was a huge loss. His passing as a mischievous, pesticating, belly laughing teacher and friend even greater. I had the pleasure of taking my first wet plate class from France Scully Osterman with David in 2004 and along with three other gifted artist we met every year at someone's house to share art, wet plate chemistry and tawdry tales while shooting for a week. He was a rascal of the highest ilk. My favorite story was when the principal of his high school in Concord that he taught at for more than two decades (and changed many young lives, many of whom went on to pursue art as a life due to his influence) brought in some big whig school administrator, superintendent et. al during class hours and the big timer asked him to justify Art in the budget and why it should be offered at all. In front of the kids and his own principal he said he couldn't, that if he didn't understand the power of Art then some tidy soundbite couldn't possibly incapsulate its power. He then told the big whig he had to get back to the students as they were what were most important. It was October 31st. He said all these things to his superiors in a full length Fur Dress/Cloak and a giant papermache Club in his hand and no shoes on in full caveman regalia and with a completely straight face leaving both administrators to contemplate the simplicity of truth he had said and went back to teaching the rest of the class with his club swinging to and fro-- for David loved to talk with his hands.

He was a magical creature that one…

and I'm sorry he's gone

even if you didn't know him we are all lesser for his absence in this world

Monty

would love to see these. Images from a talented artist, and incredibly generous person who is missed by many. I truly hope it is a well attended show, and know that his images and spirit will continue to inspire artists of the today and tomorrow.