Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Focus for Omega E6 Enlarger

Power Focus for Omega E6 Enlarger

I have an Omega E6 5x7 enlarger with the tall column that has served me well for decades and is still in excellent shape, except the 412-010 power focus device 110V recently decided to quit. I've not been able to find a replacement for this device; however, it's known that Omega usually used off-the-shelf components wherever possible. So, I've made a gadget that will allow me to reach the focus knob when it's up too high to grasp while looking through a grain magnifier, but it'd be preferable to still have the power focus. My forte is "mechanical" rather than "electrical," so I'm asking if anyone has a power focus device to offer me that is no longer needed. Alternatively, can anyone tell me how to go about pinpointing the problem, hoping that an off-the-shelf component can be found for a repair? Incidentally, I've inquired to both KHBphotografix and Classic-enlargers, but no help there (except the KHBphotografix manual solution costs more than the enlarger is worth). All comments are welcome.
    Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 30-Oct-2014 at 15:52.

Re: Power Focus for Omega E6 Enlarger

I have been looking for the power focus for the Omega D5500 429-911 for quite some time. Almost bought a third D5500 just for the focus mechanism. The 412-010 might be even rarer.

If you had a working unit , it can probably be fixed. What is actually wrong? Can you post pictures? It is likely fixable.

ic, the unit was working fine but suddenly one day it slowed to a crawl, then stopped altogether. So I removed it and reinstalled the manual focus knob. I disassembled enough to see that there was nothing obviously wrong, then put it back together. I'll grab my wife's digi and get some pics up as soon as I can.

Eric Biggerstaff

Jerry,

I would like to see your manual focus gadget, I have the same issue with my E6 and was looking for a way to focus it when the head was high.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Eric, will include it in the pics; it's not very professional but it does the job.

I have an Omega F and I can't reach the focus knob when I am using the grain magnifier, I bought a focus whip made for Beseler enlargers that fit perfectly and does the job. If you are interested in this solution I can get more specs for you.

Bruce, of course I'm interested. Please do that. Not sure what a "focus whip" is, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Bruce, of course I'm interested. Please do that. Not sure what a "focus whip" is, though.
    Something like this that hangs down from the knob.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_35.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	124339

That's similar to the solution offered by KHBphotografix for Omega enlargers.

Labeled for D2 to E series (134USD + shipping from Canada):
    http://store.khbphotografix.com/Flex...Enlargers.html

Labeled for D5 and E:
    http://store.khbphotografix.com/Flex...Enlargers.html

The labeling creates some confusion, but seems to be the same product, same price.
    Note: F enlargers are not mentioned.

Attachment 124648Attachment 124649Attachment 124650Finally some photos of my Omega Power Focus. Getting them transferred from the digi to my hard drive resulted in some real challenges and much time needed using Photoshop Elements to make them reasonably acceptable. So bear with me, digi stuff not my niche.

First off, I’d like to input a link to a FS ad in the forum so one can see photos of the power focus as set up on a ZoneVI enlarger (fwiw):
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...66#post1177366
    It seems there’s no desire to break up the “pick up only” set. I tried.

I’m attaching pics of the components as put together, followed by some with the innards showing. Opening them up shows a rat’s nest of wiring which does me no good – even if I had wiring diagrams (which I don’t) I wouldn’t know how to begin pinpointing the problem. My sole diagnostic tool is a Sperry VOM. More pics to follow.