Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Wooden Studio Stand?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DIY Wooden Studio Stand?

As per my earlier post, I just obtained a Century 10A studio camera. A Century Semi-Centennial Stand or similar would be ideal but I have not found anyone who is willing to dismantle one and ship to me.

Has anyone built a DIY studio stand that can support a Century 10A studio camera or similar? It should always be able to move the camera bed platform up and down and tilt.

Re: DIY Wooden Studio Stand?

There is a good chance that you can find schematics of the original design on the US Patten office web site. Once you have those, you should be able to figure out what modifications you would need in order to make the stand for yourself.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    There is a good chance that you can find schematics of the original design on the US Patten office web site. Once you have those, you should be able to figure out what modifications you would need in order to make the stand for yourself.
    Thanks for the idea. I have found 2 of of the patents here and here. Interesting read although there are differences between the Semi-Centennial stand design and what is stated in the patents.

I had the TableTop design which was a little newer than the one in the book. I needed space and I needed heavier duty. It sold easily.

Now I want a street setup so I can take my Century Tailboard up on The 606 next summer when it opens. It will have to be a walking cart or bicycle based to be allowed on it.
    Tin Can

I have no idea how to build one yet.

But I am with you. I just bought Century Tailboard and it needs a stand also.

So let's see what we can do!
    Tin Can

Back in the 1970's, Petersen's Photographic had two books called "Photo Equipment You Can Make". The first volume had plans for a studio camera stand that was very heavily built. If you want a copy of the plans, PM with a mailing address and I'll copy the plans for you

thank you MrFujicaman. U have PM
    I found a set of photos from someone doing a semi-centennial stand restoration. Here is one of them. Is the kong pinion shaft with the brake a commercially available part?
    No 1A CENTURY - SEMI CENTENNIAL STAND DURING RESTORATION by Primo Iglesias, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    thank you MrFujicaman. U have PM
    I found a set of photos from someone doing a semi-centennial stand restoration. Here is one of them. Is the kong pinion shaft with the brake a commercially available part?
    No 1A CENTURY - SEMI CENTENNIAL STAND DURING RESTORATION by Primo Iglesias, on Flickr
    Hi! I figured i should reply to this since that's the semi-centennial stand I restored.
    My advice don't give up searching for one. I looked around (I was diligent) for the better part of two (2) years and low and behold I was driving through town on my way to the post office why the town was having their annual garage sale day, i saw from about 200 feet the two post and I could not believe my eyes. As I approached the merchant, I asked if it was still for sale, he responded with, yes, it is! Do you know what this thing is? I said yes, hold it while I find a parking spot and would be right back.
    When I approached the merchant I told him what it was, what it was used for and what he wanted for it. Now mind you, it was in terrible weathered condition. It seems it was left in a barn for the better part of 60 years (take a look at the pre and post restoration photos on my FLICKR. He said what would I offer him, I told him that in its condition I would give him $80 to $100.00 but since I wasn't working I could only offer $50.00. He asked for $75.00 and I told him the most I could do is $60.00 and the deal was done.
    It took me two weeks and lots of man hours to bring it back to working condition. Only one piece was missing which is the wooden handle to crank up the stand platform, but that was (I just recently got the replace wooden handle, an original) it, everything else was in perfect condition after the clean up, rust removal and sanding. The wooden post were immaculate. This is the easiest stand to take apart and it does not take to much space if boxed correctly for shipping. It will weight though, its not plastic (LOL!)

My point is, if you want it bad enough, look at every possible auction site, penny saver, Craigslist, eBay and do this religiously every day, it will turn up and I would rather have the original than having to make my own. Then again, that's just my opinion. I know the passion we feel when we see these stands, they are just amazing, even to this day I think they are better than anything else out there. If you have any questions regarding the restoration, please ask. I do have if anyone is interested, a original Folmer & Graflex Laboratory stand. They were made for the Navy and defense contractors back in the day. I got it when I purchased a Deardorff Commercial Studio Camera from a former Grumman employee. It was one of four Deardorff ordered for Grumman. You can see that restoration on my FLICKR page as well. Here is a link to my page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ficion...7634310408717/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ficion...7638395198356/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ficion...7638397738335/

Good luck.

Tim that's an exact description of a Deardorff Studio Stand.

I just posted pictures of mine here in post 262.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    As per my earlier post, I just obtained a Century 10A studio camera. A Century Semi-Centennial Stand or similar would be ideal but I have not found anyone who is willing to dismantle one and ship to me.
    I've cooperated with two people who were reluctant to ship their 10A studio stands, and it worked out well in the end. I suggested that they contract a local shipper who would come to their home or place of business, dismantle the stand and ship it. Both stands came through delivery perfectly, and assembly was trivial. Maybe that would work for you, too.

And I built most of one from oak, but did not complete it because I got the two original stands. The parts except for the cast iron carriage are all standard American parts available today - but the crank wheels I found look different. See another recent post to find the cast iron 3" square finials.

Note that I did not even try to replicate the original. There are just too many better modern parts available.