Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workshops, southwestern U.S.

Dave Karp

Workshops, southwestern U.S.

I took John Sexton's printing workshop in Carmel Valley. It was first rate. A great experience. I had a great time and learned a ton.

My late father-in-law took Bruce Barnbaum's printing workshop in Washington and loved it. His work improved tremendously after that experience.

I have met Chuck Farmer. He seemed to be a nice guy, and I have heard good things about his workshops.

Barnbaum, Sexton, McSavanny, and Kirby are all first rate. I've been on workshops with all of them. When I was at Per Volquartz's Zion Free Workshop last month he mentioned another free workshop at Joshua Tree in January, the last weekend I think. I really enjoy Per's workshops but in a completely different way than the organized (and expensive) workshops. Per's workshops are more of a free for all. In fact, the exchange of information is very similar to this forum, but face to face instead of via internet. I've gotten some great photography related information that I would never have gotten in an organized workshop (for example: how the IRS treats a photographer's income and expense). It's also a great way to check out different equipment, although I'm not much of an equipment fanatic. Best of all, if you're not interested in the topic, you don't feel bad about taking off for some photography.

PS: I just checked Per's website and the Joshua Tree workshop is Jan 22-23, 2005.

Hi Mark,

Chuck Farmer does have some very good workshops in the desert SW. He is planning one in Death Valley in Feb. Check his web site for details. Although his 2005 schedule is not listed yet other than the death valley workshop, you may want to email him and see if he will be holding one in Lone Pine and the Eastern Sierras this spring.

http://www.charlespfarmer-photo.com

I second going to Photomark and talking to Klukas. Just standing at the counter I got great pointers for free. Helpful and knowledgable. If I were not 6 hours away from Phoenix I would take a class from him. He teaches a Scottsdale COmmunity College I believe.

Octogenarian

Mark,

Did you ask Rod about the LF workshops that take place in Arizona? Jay Dussard, Dick Arentz, Keith Canham, etc.? You probably wouldn't get much technique, or information that you don't already know, from Rod's LF classes at Scottsdale Comm. College. Check out Dick Arentz's workshops in Flagstaff.

Which workshop you want to take of all those offered depend mainly on what you are looking for out of one. For technical hands on practical I'd recommend Bruce's workshops. All the technique you could want both in the darkroom and in the field. It is the only one mentioned that actually has the facilities (except Santa Fe) where you get to shoot, process, and print. For scenery and shooting technique, Sexton/McSaveney are top of the heap. I would choose wisely because unless you've recently hit the lottery, they are all expensive although for what you get I feel Bruce offers a lot for your money. For a great workshop and more info than you can use right off the bat, Per's free workshops are unparralelled. And free. I took Chuck's workshop and it is a good one. But to really get all you can from a workshop I think one should offer the complete package. Either shooting and using a PC based printing system or shooting and darkroom work. Hands on work too boot.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Thanks again, all! Great responses, as usual, (love this forum!) Right now I'm leaning towards this summer's Barnbaum "complete photographic process" workshop, though I'm wondering if I'll have to do it in 4x5 to learn his enlarging techniques. (I usually work in 8x10, and Barnbaum's darkroom apparently has only 4x5 enlargers.) Then again, I'm not yet sure what quality I'll get out of my recently finished 8x10 enlarger. It has great potential, but then again, it of course has great potential to flop too, which would render the whole enlarging thing moot.

Per Volquartz's free workshops may happen too, as I can afford those (hey, I'm a high school teacher!), and others (Farmer and Sexton especially) may happen too. I'll stop in and talk to Rod next time I'm in Phoenix. but I don't get up there often.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Bruce runs probably the best workshop from his home in Washington. For the price it can't be beat. All of the workshops mentioned bring different things to the participants but Bruce actually has the facilities to expose/develope/print the work of his students. John's, Ray's, and Don Kirby's are all shooting expeditions. All good workshops but I feel that with LF, part of the learning curve incorporates the entire system from visualizing to printing. There are quite a few photographers out there who will teach you the whole thing but for the money, I feel Bruce's is the best bargain around.

> John's, Ray's, and Don Kirby's are all shooting expeditions

Untrue, at least in Sexton's case. See above comments or check John's workshop brochure on his web site: http://www.johnsexton.com . John & Ray do give one field workshop a year together. Bruce also gives field workshops.