Thread: Wierd Rodagons.

Vanannan

Wierd Rodagons.

I have old type 240mm and a 300mm Rodagon lenses which have been lying around in my workshop for a few years, I had some spare time so decided to revisit them give them a clean and see it they would be any good as backups to my more recent Rodagon and Componon lenses. I cleaned them carefully and they appeared to be reasonably bright but with a few surface scratches so I put them onto my 8x10 Devere and tried to focus them but the projected image is very hazy/soft with both, I took the lenses to my office and had a look through them at my desk lamp, I noticed a ripple effect (like looking through a waterfall) which appears to be in the front lens group of both lenses, I don't expect to be able to rescue the lenses (they cost me nothing) never having come across this before I am just curious to know what it might be, anyone any idea?

Re: Wierd Rodagons.

I have seen this in non-optical glass which has been exposed to strong alkali (1 molar KOH solutions) for a few months. It's not likely to be the cause here.

Is it a surface effect (can you feel the ripples with a finger?). If not, I would suspect failure of the cement between two of the elements making up the front groups.

I've seen similar when moisture has got between the elements with Componon lenses. Luckily in my case the elements unscrewed and could be cleaned perfectly. It happens when a cold lens doesn't have time to slowly warm up before use, t's worst in cool humid condition, and it's been particularly humid recently.

Ian

I would save those lenses for portrait prints. Kinda soften up them thar wrinkles

Vanannan

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have traced the problem, the rippling is on the front of the front element of both lenses and as they came from the same source I have to assume that they have been cleaned with a corrosive chemical, I will make a print with one of them out of curiosity.