Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing the 8x10 Waters

Testing the 8x10 Waters

Eugene touched on a good point, Scott. While I'd be the last person to attempt to dissuade you from 8x10 (I bought a double-extension Tachihara myself a year or so ago), you'd be well served to consider both processing and what you want to do with the negatives and/or transparencies you'll produce, so you have a "plan" going in. Not all labs are equipped to process 8x10, and those that currently are may well drop the service in the future. Plus, some labs that might develop 8x10 may not be able to produce enlargements.

Naturally, there are various options on all of these issues, but thinking about them in advance would be a good thing to do.

Octogenarian

Testing the 8x10 Waters

Randy,

Tachihara makes two versions of their 8x10 camera, a standard double extension model, and a triple extension model with a longer bellows, a different rear swing, and heavier weight. You probably have the Tachi 8x10 double extension model. It weighs just under eleven pounds. The triple extension model weighs a few pounds more.

Scott,

I'm eagerly awaiting your call. To quote from the movie Cold Mountain: "If you need help, here I am!".

Testing the 8x10 Waters

ralph...
    thanks for giving me something to think about. i'm looking at the step up to 8x10 as a chance to learn another aspect of photography. if i don't like it, i can always sell the gear and continue happily plodding along with my 4x5 outfit.

eugene...
    you are a gentleman and a real asset to this forum. checking my calander, december is starting to look very busy indeed. i'll send you an email apart from this thread and we can see what we can work out.

thanks again!
    scott