Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Field of view vs focal length

Field of view vs focal length

I am looking at wide angle lens. Super-Angulon 90mm and 75mm 5.6 that have the same field of view of 105°.The 75 mm does have more excess coverage. Not sure if that is a benifit. I do have a bag bellows. Is there any advantge of one over the other. I use a B&J press and Sinar F1.
    Thank You
    Tom

Ian Martin

Re: Field of view vs focal length

It seems that what you're referring to as field of view is really angle of coverage. The 75mm lens would have a larger field of view given its shorter focal length.

I’m new to this and was confused by for example fujis sw label meaning (I think) 105 degrees no matter the focal length. It makes sense they’re referring to image circle being 105 rather than fov. Also makes sense to why a 90 would be considered “super wide” when the 35mm 28 is not.

Ian Martin

Not image circle, but angle of coverage. The image circle depends on focal length, lens design, and magnification / focus distance as well.
    Fuji terms the SW series as 'super wide' because of their angle of coverage (100°), rather than their focal lengths. The Fuji brochure found here explains this quite well.

Look at the bottom of this page for an easy, visual explanation.

Field of view, angle of view, and picture angle are completely different from angle of coverage, image circle, and covering power. These terms can get confusing.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/indexfuji.htm

Lens Angle Of View is imager or film format dependent. Suspect the confusion comes from a combo of lens focal lengths specified on FF digital, 35mm film and such where the lens focal length has a tradition of what AOV is for a given lens focal length.

This does not apply in the same way in the world of LF and view cameras. Lenses are spec'ed by focal length and Angle Of Coverage which is related to the image circle size a specific lens is designed to produce. In the case of a 75mm lens like the Fujinon SW used on:

~FF digital or 35mm would be a moderate Telephoto or longer than Normal focal length AOV.

~6x6, 120 roll film would be about Normal focal length lens, 6x7, 120 roll film would be slightly wider than Normal lens focal length.

~4x5 sheet film would be much wider angle lens than normal.

~5x7 sheet film (the 75mm Fujinon SW or SWD image circle is slight small for 5x7) would be Uber wide angle then normal.

All these Angle Of View from the same 75mm lens except used on different image formats.

The 105 degree Angle of Coverage is related to the 196mm image circle at f22 for the typical wide angle view camera lens of this type (75mm f4.5 SW nikkor, 75mm f4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon, 75mm f5.6 SW or SWD fujinon, 75mm f5.6 Schneider Super Angulon, all far more similar than different), Not Angle Of View for a given imager or film format.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Wishegan View Post
    I’m new to this and was confused by for example fujis sw label meaning (I think) 105 degrees no matter the focal length. It makes sense they’re referring to image circle being 105 rather than fov. Also makes sense to why a 90 would be considered “super wide” when the 35mm 28 is not.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Look at the bottom of this page for an easy, visual explanation.

Field of view, angle of view, and picture angle are completely different from angle of coverage, image circle, and covering power. These terms can get confusing.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/indexfuji.htm
    Thanks- visual aid helps.

For large format work when selecting lenses, you first want a lens that has an adequate image circle (AKA, ANGLE OF COVERAGE or COVERING POWER) for the film size you are using.

Then you decide on the PICTURE ANGLE (AKA, ANGLE OF VIEW or FIELD OF VIEW) -- wide or narrow.

You can do this in reverse, of course, but you end up with the same result.

In either case, the PICTURE ANGLE and the ANGLE OF COVERAGE should not be confused -- but too often are.

See the below link for a visual explanation.

Whith all said here. Looking at this chart the 90mm 5.6 super angulon is just as or more versitile than the 75mm 5.6 for architecture.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...s/LF4x5in.html

Quote Originally Posted by woodlandSerenade View Post
    Not image circle, but angle of coverage. The image circle depends on focal length, lens design, and magnification / focus distance as well.
    Fuji terms the SW series as 'super wide' because of their angle of coverage (100°), rather than their focal lengths. The Fuji brochure found here explains this quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    Whith all said here. Looking at this chart the 90mm 5.6 super angulon is just as or more versitile than the 75mm 5.6 for architecture.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...s/LF4x5in.html
    I’ve been trying to decide on a wide fl too. I had a 90 (returned it because shutter was bad) and was surprised at how much it could see with rise. I’ve been debating about 75, but I think the 90 will do a lot. An advantage the 75 has is the ability to be closer to your subject (ie if you can’t back up anymore, a 75 may be needed).