Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identifying old darkroom equipment

Identifying old darkroom equipment

Several years ago, a friend of mine sold me his darkroom set up which he had obtained from a former employer who went out of business. The equipment has been collecting dust and now I am moving to a smaller house so I need to find a new home for the equipment.

My problem is, I'm so far out of the loop in the film world, that I'm not sure (1) how to identify what I have in the basement and (2) what is actually worth trying to pass on to someone else.

I know there is an enlarger and some other miscellaneous equipment - I believe it should be a full set up but I will have to catalog everything before I could actually say that for certainty. There are some chemicals in the boxes - are these still usable if they haven't been opened or is there an expiration date on the chemicals.

What sort of identifying features should I be cataloging for the important parts of the setup that a prospective buyer would be interested or want to know?

I appreciate any help that the forum can offer. It's been 20 years since I've been in a darkroom so my knowledge is pretty sketchy at best.

Thanks!

Re: Identifying old darkroom equipment

Hard to tell without knowing what you have. One thing that is always important is the format - what size negative does an enlarger take, how big are trays or paper. Exact information on lenses, if any. Liquid chemicals are probably unusable, unopened packages of powdered chemicals are probably still good. Try to sell small stuff in (sensible) lots, it's a lot of work to offer everything individually.

Don't throw things away too fast. Not many people still work in a darkroom, but not much darkroom equipment is available new. In the end, it comes down to price and shipping cost.

Good luck!

Michael

Lenses and enlargers have words on them. Google those words.

Condition is paramount and size is always bigger is better, unless it's German.
    Tin Can

Okay, thank you both very much. I'm going to spend the weekend going through everything and will hopefully have a meaningful list of items by the end.

Begin simply by listing what is printed on the equipment. There are many here who can identify the hardware. I'll bet there are some photographers in your area who might like to visit to identify what you have. I have done it here a few times.

It is unlikely the chemicals are still worthwhile.

Best of luck!

As noted, google whatever you can find on the equipment. It's often easier to jump right to images to find what looks like yours. As you set selling prices, consider condition, including how much dust/rust/debris is on the equipment.

Post a photo---maybe we can help.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Okay, I just got started with all the boxes and a lot of this stuff appears to be brand new in boxes! There are a few things that I can't figure out what they are so I have posted the photos of those below.

What I do know I have:
    Paterson Pro-Proofer and Copyboard (qty 1) - new
    Paterson 12 x 16 film trays (qty 3) - used
    Kodak hard rubber tank, 4x5 in, 1/2 gallon liquid capacity (qty 2) - one new, one used. The used one doesn't appear to have a lid. Not sure if the new in box one has a lid or not.
    Tetenal C-41 Kit Stab, liquid bottle, model #389118 (qty 4) - used
    Tetenal C-41 Kit Stab Stabilizer, liquid bottle, model #340136 (qty 4) - used
    Kodak 1 liter measuring cup, plastic (qty 1) - used
    Stainless steel measuring cup, no brand, 64oz (qty 1) - new
    Kodak Ektachrome film processing kit, process E-6 for color transparencies, model #1815034 (qty 2) - most likely used
    GraLab darkroom timer, model 300, with enlarger and safelight plugs (qty 1) - used
    Lloyds "The Daylight bulk film winder" (qty 1) - used
    Testrite Instrument Co, Safelight, model 3A. (qty 2) - used
    Adorama bamboo tongs, B-106 (qty 2) - one used, one new
    Kalt adjustable dial thermometer (qty 1) - used
    Kodak rapid fixer with hardener, CAT 146 4106, #00104-1 (qty 4) - new
    Kodak indicator stop bath, #00316-2, CAT 140 8731, (qty 1) - new
    Lewco Variable Vignetter (qty 1) - appears to be brand new in box
    RPS Photo Products, High grade 18-8 stainless steel, 120/620 reel (qty 1) - brand new in box
    Kindermann reel loader 35mm, #3326 (qty 2) - brand new in box
    LPL 35mm tank reel, #411A (qty 2) - one used, one new in box
    Coastar, 6" developing tank, #435-IT (qty 1) - new in box
    Kindermann, developing tank 450 mL, #3364 (qty 1) - new in box
    Hansa, stainless steel developing tank, 35 "for 135 film size - W reel" (qty 1) - new in box
    Kodak Dektol developer, powder, CAT 146 4726, KP68252-1 (qty 5) - new, unopened packages
    Kodak fixer for film, paper & Plates, cat 197 1746, #23483-1 (qty 3) - new, unopened packages
    Edwal No Scratch, Edwal Scientifiv Products, liquid bottle (qty 1) - used
    Edwal Hypo-Chek, liquid bottle (qty 1) - used
    Kodak lens cleaner, liquid bottle (qty 3) - used
    Kodak T-Max developer, KP-85495-D (qty 4) - new
    Unicolor trans 6 process e-6 reversal film chemistry kit (qty 1) - new in box, unopened so I'm not sure what all is inside other than what is listed on the outside
    Premier 2 gallon polyethylene chemical storage tank, "Vue-Thru" (qty 3) - new in box.
    Watson film loader, model Watson 100 (qty 1) - new? like new?
    GraLab, Model 545 timer (qty 1) - new in box
    Kalt portable darkroom safelight, two additional filters (qty 1) - new in box
    Prinz dial thermometer, catalog number 260-86 (qty 1) - new in box
    Kodak Polymax filter kit (qty 1) - like new, has all of the filters in good condition with instructions and all parts
    GraLab, Model 300 timer (qty 1) - new in box **This one appears to be a newer version of the previous 300 timer listed. The switches are rockers instead of little metal flip/knobs.
    Kodak adjustable safelight lamp, model B (qty 2) - new in box; boxes say the filter isn't included
    Igloo tray, 10x10" (approximately) (qty 1) - used

What I don't know:
    It's a black tray, two pieces, appears to lock together pretty well so I'm thinking it's light-proof? There's a little metal clasp at one end. It's been used, the plastic is cracked by the clasp but the rest of the tray appears to be in pretty good shape. Roughly 12 x 16.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blacklockingtray_1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	122778

Black, round, lid-like trays. I have 15 of them, one has a UPC and gives the name Shatter Inc and what I assume to be a model number of 69PRT2FL.

Name:	roundlidtrays_1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	122779

Three metal clamps with no identifying features.

Name:	miscmetalclamps.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	122780

I think it might be a printing tray of some kind but I don't know what the real name of it is? There's different size frames on both sides. Brand name is Coastar.

Name:	coastar_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	122781

Identifying old darkroom equipment

I am afraid that the whole lot is amateur level stuff not worth shipping fees, and nothing to the constituency of large format enthusiasts. Chemicals are worthless,

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I am afraid that the whole lot is amateur level stuff not worth shipping fees, and nothing to the constituency of large format enthusiasts. Chemicals are worthless,
    I agree with Jac the chemicals are probably dead depending on the expiration, especially the color chems, the Indicator stop bath is probably still good,
    I'm using decades old Indicator stop, still pretty pungent, I don't think the concentrate ever goes bad.

The Gralab 300 and 545 timers are worth something.

You can always put them up on Craigslist or eBay and see what nibbles you can get, one man's trash is another man's treasure...but ditch the chems .

Actually, come to think of it, ditch the lids off the stainless steel tanks and use them as pencil/pen holder cups, that's what I did with mine with I got my Jobo setup.