Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identifying old darkroom equipment

Re: Identifying old darkroom equipment

Quote Originally Posted by katstartastic View Post
    Probably a film safe, can't really tell from the photo.

Film clamps, to hang the processed film to dry. These usually come in pairs, the bottom one has a weight.

A non-adjustable printing easel for standard formats.

There's a household waste event my county at the end of the month where I can drop off the chemicals free of charge so that works out well, timing wise. I really don't want to have to deal with trying to sell/ship the chemicals since I'm not really close to a big city where there might be interested parties.

I appreciate all the feedback. Tomorrow, I'll tackle the rest of the equipment and see what else shakes out.

"What I don't know:
    It's a black tray, two pieces, appears to lock together pretty well so I'm thinking it's light-proof? There's a little metal clasp at one end. It's been used, the plastic is cracked by the clasp but the rest of the tray appears to be in pretty good shape. Roughly 12 x 16."

That is a lightproof paper safe, used in a darkroom to store photographic paper. I only use them to store paper while working in a darkroom, if I don't have a lightproof drawer to store the photo paper.

The round plastic disks in your "don't know" list are (I believe) floating lids for chemical tanks like these. Probably for your Premier 2 gallon polyethylene chemical storage tank.

Selling darkroom gear can be time consuming unless it's really high end stuff. It's a bit more difficult when you don't know enough about the item to tell if it's working properly. But most of your "stuff" is fairly obvious - if it's not cracked or bent, it's probably OK.

Very few chemicals are a problem for shipping, especially the powder ones. Be a shame to toss out the new, unopened, chemicals without knowing if they're bad.

I've trimmed out the excess but these are the things I think would be useful for LF:

Okay, I just got started with all the boxes and a lot of this stuff appears to be brand new in boxes! There are a few things that I can't figure out what they are so I have posted the photos of those below.
    Paterson 12 x 16 film trays (qty 3) - used
    Kodak hard rubber tank, 4x5 in, 1/2 gallon liquid capacity (qty 2) - one new, one used. The used one doesn't appear to have a lid. Not sure if the new in box one has a lid or not.
    Kodak 1 liter measuring cup, plastic (qty 1) - used
    Stainless steel measuring cup, no brand, 64oz (qty 1) - new
    GraLab darkroom timer, model 300, with enlarger and safelight plugs (qty 1) - used
    Testrite Instrument Co, Safelight, model 3A. (qty 2) - used
    Adorama bamboo tongs, B-106 (qty 2) - one used, one new
    Kalt adjustable dial thermometer (qty 1) - used
    Premier 2 gallon polyethylene chemical storage tank, "Vue-Thru" (qty 3) - new in box.
    GraLab, Model 545 timer (qty 1) - new in box
    Kalt portable darkroom safelight, two additional filters (qty 1) - new in box
    Prinz dial thermometer, catalog number 260-86 (qty 1) - new in box
    Kodak Polymax filter kit (qty 1) - like new, has all of the filters in good condition with instructions and all parts
    GraLab, Model 300 timer (qty 1) - new in box **This one appears to be a newer version of the previous 300 timer listed. The switches are rockers instead of little metal flip/knobs.
    Kodak adjustable safelight lamp, model B (qty 2) - new in box; boxes say the filter isn't included
    Igloo tray, 10x10" (approximately) (qty 1) - used

Black, round, lid-like trays. I have 15 of them, one has a UPC and gives the name Shatter Inc and what I assume to be a model number of 69PRT2FL.
    **** floating inside lids for 2 gallon chemical tanks. ****

Most of these items are germane to small- or medium-format photograpy; if you haven't already, you might visit the APUG forum and see what kinds of things folks there commonly buy/sell/giveaway. The multi-format easel, for example, is quite useful if you work in 35mm, but large format negatives run to sizes much larger than that easel accommodates as prints. The 120 and 35mm stuff--reels, daylight loaders--are really out at the fringes of the Large Format Photography forum, although as you can see, knowledge and market demand do not always occur in the same place.

Run an ad on Craigslist. (cheap)
    Darkroom photography is making a comeback.
    Include the chem. You'd be surprised how long some of them can last.
    If it doesn't find a new home, set it up and use it.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org