Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple modern B&W 8x10 enlarger head

Simple modern B&W 8x10 enlarger head

I noticed more viewers are looking at this section than DIY. So I posted here.

This is sort of DIY, but really it is just cutting a piece of foam core and laying a light source on top of it. No work involved.

See this link for my 5x7 version which is fancier but no better.

In the above thread I used a http://www.artograph.com/lightboxes/lightpad-920/ which works great and uses 4.6 watts at 120 vac. Operates at 5 degrees F above ambient. Which means no heat, no negative heat warp. Even after hours of usage, it never gets hot.

This 8x10 version uses the next size bigger, http://www.artograph.com/lightboxes/lightpad-930/ It also works great and uses a proportionally greater amount of power, clocking in at a whopping 7.4 watts at 120 vac. Exactly the same characteristics. 5 degrees F delta +.

The head's construction is very simple. I cut a 2 pieces of 3/16 black foam core to 15x17, glued them together and cut a 8x10 window in the right place, which is above lens center.

Then I just stacked the light box on top of the foam core, on top of the enlarger. Gravity works! I did gaff tape the power wire down so I don't pull the $117.00 light box off when raising the head.

Very tiny light leaks, which are easily sealed with gaff tape.

If anything, I have too much light at F8 with my 250mm Kodak Ektanon enlarging lens. I may add additional diffusion to lengthen printing times.. Focus is very bright. mine is installed on 10x10 Calumet enlarger chassis, that formerly used a Super ChroMega F Dichro II 1000 watt head.

As with the 5x7, I have a glass-less film carrier for 8x10 as seen in the pics. I bought it from a member here. I also have the traditional double glass carriers with one AN plate. But I prefer glass-less.

Obviously I cannot guarantee you will have the same results or even like my solution, I offer this up only as an idea. However, an idea I use. I do recommend you use only the above brand light pads, as I have tryed other brands that are not good. I have no connection with Artogragh. I bought mine on Amazon and have seen widely ranging prices, most likely depending upon school schedules.

I think one thing that makes these light pads work is the LED's are mounted evenly about the perimeter and the film size for each light pad is centered and away from the edges, allowing for even light.

If these light sources prove slightly uneven, I propose making an inkjet digital graduated ND diffusion filter/mask to even the light pattern, but I think that is unnecessary. I have posted proof of concept prints on the 5x7 thread and will be doing the same with this setup soon.

Another thing, I have noticed a one second delay in light on, but the LED is up to full strength right away, and the delay is consistent.

Lastly, Amazon will take it back if you don't like it. Try that with a used 8x10 head. I already threw my all boxes away...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN5620.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	122427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-DSCN5621.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	122428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-DSCN5624.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	122429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-DSCN5625.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	122430
    Tin Can

Re: Simple modern B&W 8x10 enlarger head

Excellent article and as a bonus we have a picture of Randy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randy.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	122434

That's his brother.
    Tin Can

Well done! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to check into the spectrum of the light source.
    Bill

Hmmm ...

I have an extra Beseler 4x5 in my garage and an Omega D5 I don't use. (This stuff just accumulates and nobody ever wants to buy them from me. Really! But, I digress ...)

A few years ago I passed up the chance to buy an 8x10 Durst, complete with neg carrier, for $200! I didn't buy it because it was huge! And heavy, and I couldn't see hauling it up the stairs to my second floor darkroom, if nothing else. (It remained available for a couple more years (see paranthetical insertion above) until another local photograph finally got it!)

I am a roll film guy, and if and when I go to sheet film, it will be 4x5, I'm sure, so I'm covered. But almost all the photographer friends I have in the area are large format shooters, and I wouldn't mind being able to print for them.

I will follow these threads ...

As a caution, I think this head is best used for 8x10 only. When masking down a large diffused light source we lose a lot of light and enlarging miniature negatives would take forever.

I do realize you said you were planning to print your friends LF negs.

I was just reading elsewhere that one user had a 25 minute printing time for a 35mm neg on a 5x7 enlarger!

Use the correct size enlarger for the job, they are everywhere, at least the 4x5 and under are.
    Tin Can

Thanks for sharing your experimentations Randy.
    Do you ever open one of theses Lightpads to see what it is inside? I'm curious about if we can rebuit the light section illumination of the Lightpad 920 (removing some of the plastic casing) to fit exactly in the condenser housing of a Durst 5x7 : 8 1/2" wide x 7 3/4" deep by 2 1/8" high. The separators beetween the 2 condensers slots of the Durst 138 cannot be removed.
    Also is the Lightpad 930 will enter in the Durst 8x10 condenser housing 14 1/4" x 14 1/4" square by 1 1/4" high but as the separators of the Durst 184 can be removed, the space available is 7" high.

I should buy one and experiment myself but it is a lot more expensive here in Canada. In fact, I have a lot of Aristo coldlights for my need in both sizes. But I look to donate some Durst 138 locally (a Photo Club still have darkroom here in Montreal) and the option of the condensers and the LED head will be nice.

Thanks for the info.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Sorry, I have no desire to take them apart, I leave destructive testing to my brother, he seldom puts things back together...

They don't have external screws and seem to be folded aluminum put together by machine. That silver is extruded aluminum.

As I have stated, I think these work a little better because we use only the center of the light and not right to the edges.

Experimentation is never free, we always pay with time or money.

I bet my brother could sawzall any enlarger to fit with these heads.

ymmv
    Tin Can

Vanannan

Thanks for the article, very interested until I found the lightbox in the UK at about double the US price

One day I will hand deliver one, if I get to watch the TT.
    Tin Can