Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to Update the Ground Glass Thread?

Time to Update the Ground Glass Thread?

Ok, so I have a cheap plexiglass GG with clear plastic cover on my 8x10; I'm not too fond of it and I want to replace it.

I prefer something in acrylic, and something much like the Wista 4x5 GG/fresnel, because A) I'm less worried when traveling that it will not break accidentally, B) I find that type of screen to be exceptionally bright and easy-to-use

In the past I have used ecbuyonline for their 8x10 GG, they make a very good GG/fresnel-in-one, but it seems they no longer make that model.

So I've been looking around for other GGs of this type that would fit the Toyo 810M.

I've tried finding an 8x10 Tachihara screen, or Wista screen, but I can't get the dimensions online.

I'm unaware of what other manufacturers are making, be it Chamonix, Shen Hao, Canham, Wisner, anyone; maybe they make high-quality bright GG/fresnel screens?

I'm scared to imagine what an 8x10 Maxwell screen would cost, and I've heard it's a long wait anyway.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance.

Re: Time to Update the Ground Glass Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Ok, so I have a cheap plexiglass GG with clear plastic cover on my 8x10; I'm not too fond of it and I want to replace it.

I prefer something in acrylic, and something much like the Wista 4x5 GG/fresnel, because A) I'm less worried when traveling that it will not break accidentally, B) I find that type of screen to be exceptionally bright and easy-to-use

In the past I have used ecbuyonline for their 8x10 GG, they make a very good GG/fresnel-in-one, but it seems they no longer make that model.

So I've been looking around for other GGs of this type that would fit the Toyo 810M.

I've tried finding an 8x10 Tachihara screen, or Wista screen, but I can't get the dimensions online.

I'm unaware of what other manufacturers are making, be it Chamonix, Shen Hao, Canham, Wisner, anyone; maybe they make high-quality bright GG/fresnel screens?

I'm scared to imagine what an 8x10 Maxwell screen would cost, and I've heard it's a long wait anyway.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance.
    Hmm, Perspex, sandpaper, make your own?

Steve Hopf makes very nice ones, albeit they are glass and not acrylic. I ordered one for my whole plate Toyo and was really happy with it, his prices are fair and service is excellent.

http://www.hopfglass.com/

The Steve Hopf ground glass is very very nice. The glass is very good quality and he somehow has hit a lovely compromise of brightness and fineness. I have been able to use a stronger loupe since the fineness of the grind does not interfere with the image and my pathetic myopic, astigmatic, presbyopic eye appreciate the difference. Yes, it is glass but i have always been partial to glass since it is more stable and less likely to warp or deform under heat or pressure. I had a poor quality plastic ground glass that actually bowed when i pressed on it with the loupe - granted that taking the poorest example of a class of objects to argue against it is a poor argument but that was the source of my mistrust of plastic ground glass screens, especially in the larger sizes. I am much happier with the glass screen and a GG protector made of plastic or wood.
    Cheers, DJ

Dave Karp

I have one of Steve Hopf's borosilicate GFs for my 5x7 reducing back. It is really very nice. He does a nice, very faint grid if you want one. I expect to be ordering a WP sized glass soon. Steve is very responsive too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    Hmm, Perspex, sandpaper, make your own?
    I did make my own, that's why I need a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Steve Hopf makes very nice ones, albeit they are glass and not acrylic. I ordered one for my whole plate Toyo and was really happy with it, his prices are fair and service is excellent.

http://www.hopfglass.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by N Dhananjay View Post
    The Steve Hopf ground glass is very very nice. The glass is very good quality and he somehow has hit a lovely compromise of brightness and fineness. I have been able to use a stronger loupe since the fineness of the grind does not interfere with the image and my pathetic myopic, astigmatic, presbyopic eye appreciate the difference. Yes, it is glass but i have always been partial to glass since it is more stable and less likely to warp or deform under heat or pressure. I had a poor quality plastic ground glass that actually bowed when i pressed on it with the loupe - granted that taking the poorest example of a class of objects to argue against it is a poor argument but that was the source of my mistrust of plastic ground glass screens, especially in the larger sizes. I am much happier with the glass screen and a GG protector made of plastic or wood.
    Cheers, DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    I have one of Steve Hopf's borosilicate GFs for my 5x7 reducing back. It is really very nice. He does a nice, very faint grid if you want one. I expect to be ordering a WP sized glass soon. Steve is very responsive too.
    Guys, thank you. I know about Steve, but I'm not interested in glass this time around.
    I am looking for something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Sandwich.html but I cannot get exact dimensions online.

...I'm scared to imagine what an 8x10 Maxwell screen would cost, and I've heard it's a long wait anyway...
    ...I am looking for something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Sandwich.html...
    Bill Maxwell doesn't offer a combined focus screen / fresnel larger than 5x7. In his opinion, there's no way such a product could maintain sufficient dimensional accuracy, even with the stiffening clear glass cover sheet he considers an integral part of his 5x7 and smaller Hi-Lux combination screen systems.

For 8x10, Bill supplies only a plain fresnel, which must be combined with an actual ground glass screen. That's what I have in my 8x10, as well as a cut down version in my whole plate camera. In both cases, I've placed Bill's fresnel on my eye side of Satin Snow glass. Should one desire the fresnel on the other (camera lens) side of the glass, it's necessary to mill the back's ledge so focus ends up where film will be. Since I'm more than 6 diopters nearsighted, I don't need a loupe -- just peering over my spectacles provides sufficient "magnification" -- and don't worry about scratching the acrylic fresnel.

Ah, another -6 diopter who does not see the need for a loupe.

I wondered if I was the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Bill Maxwell doesn't offer a combined focus screen / fresnel larger than 5x7. In his opinion, there's no way such a product could maintain sufficient dimensional accuracy, even with the stiffening clear glass cover sheet he considers an integral part of his 5x7 and smaller Hi-Lux combination screen systems.

For 8x10, Bill supplies only a plain fresnel, which must be combined with an actual ground glass screen. That's what I have in my 8x10, as well as a cut down version in my whole plate camera. In both cases, I've placed Bill's fresnel on my eye side of Satin Snow glass. Should one desire the fresnel on the other (camera lens) side of the glass, it's necessary to mill the back's ledge so focus ends up where film will be. Since I'm more than 6 diopters nearsighted, I don't need a loupe -- just peering over my spectacles provides sufficient "magnification" -- and don't worry about scratching the acrylic fresnel.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by davisg2370 View Post
    I have a Tachihara set in a box at home. I will try to remember to get the dimensions for you tonight after work.
    Thank you, Greg; I've also looked online, but can't find anybody who sells the Tachihara screen alone.