Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Choosing a camera to shoot film now, digital later

Re: Choosing a camera to shoot film now, digital later

I cannot wrap my brain about the requirement of $500 for camera body when a metal frame (no handle :-) ) from Alpa et al cost $2000-$3000, and a lot more. Logic would say "hmm... there is something going on more than just slapping any old MFDB on any old camera..."

The simple solution to this is a Sinar f with a bag bellows, then when you have the funds get a sliding back and a phase one p45, the only snag is the need for wider lenses, this can be resolved with a Sinar shutter and hassleblad lenses with a hassleblad to Sinar lens panel or use wide angles with recessed panels.
    Just be aware that using a 5x4 camera with a sliding back is a bit of a pain and you might well be better off sticking to film and scanning your images from both a financially and aesthetic point of view, Personally I use a hassleblad v with a phase back for 99% of all my work

My suggestion would be a Sinar X.

But listen to me carefully.

I tried to plan out the same thing that you're attempting to do - purchase a 4x5 camera that will do anything and everything, film now, digital later. So I bought a Horseman LS 4x5, which is a big, heavy, precise (with film), metal studio camera. I can shoot 4x5, 8x10 by changing the back, and if I wanted to, I could mount a digital back on it. I also had a Sinar P, but I was so used to using my Horseman, I sold the Sinar.

At the beginning, I was sure I would keep the Horseman forever, and eventually mount a digital back on it. Then I slowly grew tired of how heavy and cumbersome it is, along with the fact that it probably wouldn't be very precise with a digital back. So I gave up on the idea that you can use a 4x5 with a digital back.

Many years ago, I only wanted heavy studio cameras, and laughed at anything made for the field. Now, I'm selling my entire Horseman 4x5/8x10 system and buying a wooden/carbon fiber Chamonix for 4x5, and if I ever get a digital back (doubtful since I've started using my Sigma DP Merrills, incredible image quality), I would go for a system that's made for it.

Look at the other options: Arca Swiss M Line 2 or M Line Monolith is an AMAZING camera for a digital back. Small, light, portable, precise.

If you really have to buy something now, get a Sinar X. Just make sure it's not all beat up, and the gears are working well. And yes, you'll need digital lenses.