Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any interest in a modern timer release for LF lens?

Re: Any interest in a modern timer release for LF lens?

I would buy it for $40-$50 if it had the following features:
    - Good accuracy in the lower range - 1 to 5 seconds.
    - Finer duration settings in the lower range - 1.3, 1.5, 1.7, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ...
    - Android or iPhone interface would be a plus, but full mechanical is fine.

I have tried using multiple Prontor timers, but the accuracy is in the lower range is horrible. There are no notches for different seconds or sub-seconds, so it is impossible to accurately and consistently set the exposure duration to any specific value (and for the lower durations, it matters).

It would be of no interest to me. I have a small RC one which works well, and a Prontor which makes time exposures up to one minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Atul Mohidekar View Post
    - Finer duration settings in the lower range - 1.3, 1.5, 1.7, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ...

I have tried using multiple Prontor timers, but the accuracy is in the lower range is horrible. There are no notches for different seconds or sub-seconds, so it is impossible to accurately and consistently set the exposure duration to any specific value (and for the lower durations, it matters).
    Good point, 1-5 seconds are always hard to be accurate with, having that added and even 1.5 and 2.5 etc would make sense.

Although in a dream world I would also like it to be tiny and cost $40 in realistic to say in this small market I could see it easily being $70-$100. I don't want that, but if $40 discourages you from it, consider that others might pay slightly more.

And yes iPhone interface a MUST then I can activate it from the warmth of my car!

I also see this as an acceptable thread, I've seen many "product announcements" and never saw anyone complain, it would be like shooting ourselves in the foot to discourage product announcements.

Maybe there should be a product announcement / industry news sub-section? LF info on new and potential discontinuing products is always hard to find, why not help spread the knowledge on the forum? Maybe make it an OP only post with updates only every week so as to limit spam?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Probably yes.

Rather than injection moulding, perhaps CNC milling or 3D printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Atul Mohidekar View Post
    +1 (though I'd be willing to pay more if it did all of the above, and did it well)

Put me down for 1

Bruce

I often need exposures ranging up to 15 minutes, so would love to have something like that automated. Also not all shutters have a T mode, so having B and T would make sense.

Since it will use a microcontroller, accurate time to any amount of seconds or hours are no problem. It's really down to what we want and the complexity of the user interface.

As for current draw for B, the problem is the servo. One it pushes the plunger, the servo needs to maintain that position and that means the servo must be engaged, unless there is some other mechanical mechanism that it uses. The micro will need to continue to generate a pulse width modulation also, but micro takes very little current to run, comparing to the servo.

Since this is not a business proposal yet, it would definitely look like sufficient interest to proceed tinkering and prototyping. No promise on timing yet (see what I did there?) as I have a boatload of stuff on my plates, but looks like this will be interesting to some people.

Thank you for all the comments and I will for sure consider all the feature input etc. when I start the tinkering process. Please feel to add additional comments :-)

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    As for current draw for B, the problem is the servo. One it pushes the plunger, the servo needs to maintain that position and that means the servo must be engaged, unless there is some other mechanical mechanism that it uses. The micro will need to continue to generate a pulse [...]
    False.

You would do better with a solenoid rather than a servo.

Look into 'magnetic latching solenoids'. Once activated and in target position (shutter depressed), it draws no current and stays in place until an opposite polarity pulse is applied, and then it activates to withdraw. They have other advantages such as generating negligible heat, and gentler activation than some other push/pull/rotate models.[/QUOTE]