Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CatLabs CL81 experiences

Re: CatLabs CL81 experiences

I'm interested in giving this device a go. I'm currently developing 8x10 negs with a modified Paterson Orbital, which I've 99 times out of 100 been getting great results from. I have occasionally had streaks on one or two negatives where there is bare sky. But mostly it's working well. Still, things can always be better! If anyone has one and they decide not to keep it, I could be interested in relieving it from you.

I have had good results developing 2 sheets of 8 x 10 Tri-X 320 in a Jobo 2830 drum. I used XTOL 1&1 600ml, at 20C, using a reversing Beseler drum roller. Nothing special, no clips or webs just insert the film like you would rc paper directly into the tube I have picked these up for $30 USD used. If you don't have a drum roller Jobo makes an insert ring for the bottom of the drum that let's you roll back and forth across a table.
    The rollers that just go in one direction give STREAKS no doubt in XTOL at 1:1 dilution.
    This is in my opinion the cheapest reliable way for low volume b&w.
    I like playing with these gizmos like the cl-81, but on close inspection I do see a small scratch on my negatives from my last session from the reel scratching the edge.
    It seems that these reels are the product of a 3D printer. If these could be injection molded they would be perfect. But you would need to sell a 100,000 reels to pay for the tooling and engineering.
    Best Regards to All, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    It seems that these reels are the product of a 3D printer. If these could be injection molded they would be perfect.
    These are custom cut on a CNC machine.

That makes sense, thus the somewhat sharp edges. I plan to use with my Duolab oneway rotation primarily for color, I don't think scratching will be a problem, I had one small scratch on the edge of the negative from last night.

I think this is a very useful device

Hello all.
    Just got my own CL81 some time ago and would like to give it a try with only one 8x10 sheet. Do any of you know the minimum amount of chemistry required for only one sheet in the Multi Tank 5?
    Thanks.
    Lionel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel1972 View Post
    Hello all.
    Just got my own CL81 some time ago and would like to give it a try with only one 8x10 sheet. Do any of you know the minimum amount of chemistry required for only one sheet in the Multi Tank 5?
    Thanks.
    Lionel.
    I'm not that there is an exact volume specified , if you are using a 2551/53 tank thats designed to hold two 2509n reels with 12 sheets of 4x5 , the recommended volume is something like 570mL. I use 600 mL. Three sheets of 8 x 10 is the same as 12 sheets of 4 x 5 (240 sq. in.) . If you are only souping 1 sheet I don't think I would change the volume that much. If you use diluted developers you that could save you on stock solution. Or save the developer and use it for your next run. These reels work great once you get used to loading them. Buy some IR googles or practice blindfolded.

Thanks for your reply Duolab123.
    I've tried 270 ml since the recommanded minimum in a multitank 5 is 600 ml and it worked quite well.
    I'm wondering if anyone tried even less than 270 ml.

Loading the CL81 according to the youtube video would be easier with three hands - it involves holding the sheets of film on the reel while simultaneously loading new sheets. (Otherwise, the sheets pop out of the holder. If you've tried it, you know.)

I've found it far easier to load three sheets at once. Work on a non-skid surface with the reel lying with the opening facing up. (A towel makes a good work surface). First, start the bottom sheet of film into its grooves in the reel. Insert the sheet about an inch or two into the grooves. It will sit there unattended. Now do the middle sheet, also an inch or two into the grooves. Finally, the top one. Now grab the three sheets by their leading edge and slide them around the reel so that they're lined up evenly - you can use your other hand to guide the trailing edge so that it doesn't pop out of the reel. Pop in the retaining clip and even things out and you're good to go.