Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CatLabs CL81 experiences

Vince Donovan

Re: Anyone used CatLABS CL81

I've had one for about six months and I really like it. I've processed about 100 sheets in it. It did indeed take some practice before I was comfortable loading it, but now I can load it quickly with no problems. I've never had the sheets fall out or anything like that. Each time I load it, I practice with a few blank sheets first, just to get back in the groove. So to speak.

Cheers guys, part of the reason I'm looking at the CL81 is that it'll work with my CPE2 - if I went for one of the expert drums that'd be £500+ on top for a CPP. . .

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

If I didn't already have a 2830 print drum and a 3005, I'd probably get one.

If you can live with just doing 2 sheets at a time, the 2830 is far quicker and fool-proof to load: Just place two print dividers at opposite sides on the diameter and slide the sheets in. The raised ridges on the interior will keep the back of the film off the side of the tank allowing the chemistry to reach the base as well as the emulsion side of the film.

Thomas

Re: CatLabs CL81 problems

Unfortunately have to prove less then perfect experience with this product.

I have run a large batch 35+ sheets of 8x10 BW Ilford film and found that using this reel is hard (not hardcore, but next to impossible when loading in the changing bag) and not rewarding.

The ugliest problem is scratching. Even with film detainer properly attached to column, film gets scratched by not sitting perfectly still in the reel. Maybe if my Jobo CPE2+ had lower than 75 speed, this effect could be less apparent. But I have got 20 of 35 film sheets that have 1-1,5 cm scratches on the one side. Outer sheets suffer more from this, inner gets smaller rips. Outer sheet (third from the center) 70% of time got out of film detainer during development which I also consider a design fault.

Mayhaps slide and negative colour film has harder emulsion and suffer less, but I have no courage to test it.

My verdict: this product has much to improve to be on par with Jobo Expert Drum or even BTZS tubes.

Sorry, guys, you have made a long way, but this is still not enough for a clean victory.

Keep going. I hope you will manage these problems not only to make commercially sustainable product, but to make a perfect run. Catlabs, don't be Yankee, be Jobo)).

Quote Originally Posted by Renedage View Post
    Keep going. I hope you will manage these problems not only to make commercially sustainable product, but to make a perfect run. Catlabs, don't be Yankee, be Jobo)).
    Thanks for the comments. Were on it!

Threads merged.

I just ordered one from Omer. I have a secret weapon for loading sheet reels. SpyNet IR goggles. You can read a newspaper with these in total darkness no effect on non IR film. I get bromide streaks with 2830 tube using Xtol, only have little duo lab just goes in one direction. To lazy to roll around tube on table ��. I think if I wanted to do this seriously it's either deep tanks or the 3005.
    I think with a little practice this little CL81 gizmo should work for me.
    Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I just ordered one from Omer. I have a secret weapon for loading sheet reels. SpyNet IR goggles. You can read a newspaper with these in total darkness no effect on non IR film. I get bromide streaks with 2830 tube using Xtol, only have little duo lab just goes in one direction. To lazy to roll around tube on table ��. I think if I wanted to do this seriously it's either deep tanks or the 3005.
    I think with a little practice this little CL81 gizmo should work for me.
    Best Regards
    Careful with films like Acros100 and Foma400 as I believe those have a higher red sensitivity spectrum that may push into the IR range.

Also it's not the loading that people are having scratch issues from it's the actual agitation part, but since you're going in one direction and don't seem to care about streaking, I guess it doesn't matter for your work flow and you probably won't have as many scratches.

Update, I ran 1 8 x 10 sheet in the 2830 drum with stock XTOL. Used one of my horde items , Beseler reversing drum roller .. Got very nice and even development, did a nice contact print no steaks at all. I will be using B/W film so when I get my doo dad from Catlabs, I will give it a try with both Duolab and roller. Fun to experiment. I have developed a a lot of film 4x5, 120, 35mm , ..E-6, C-41, and B&W (in XTOL) using the Duolab, never had any problems before this. I think part of the problem was from diluting the XTOL, 2 sheets of tri-x and it just ran out of steam ��. Happy Days!

Update, I ran the catlabs CL81 tonight just 2 sheets, of 8 x 10 tri x . Used Xtol 1&1 ,550ml, 10 minutes at 68F used a Beseler reversing roller came out fine, I used good old Kodak F-5 acid hardening fix, didn't notice any scratches. Washing the film on the reel is a joy. I cheated and used my SpyNet IR goggles to see in the dark to load the reel . I'm going to find a pile of o - rings or small rubber bands as I don't like the idea of chancing chemical carry over by leaving the real on the core.

Still I think for 8x10 color this should work with a bit of patience. It's a decent gadget but you need to be patient, clearly the expert tanks would make more sense if you already have a big processor and a heavy work load.

I give it a 7 out of 10. Nice little gizmo that's fun to play with.
    Mike