Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker is Retiring

Re: Photobackpacker is Retiring

My main computer died on Friday. Lightening strike took out the motherboard via the ethernet cable. Yes, everything was backed up redundantly BUT getting everything re-established has been awful. I made so many attempts to try to get MS Outlook to recognize my huge email data file (1.6 gig) with repeated set up and delete, the business server that hosts Photobackpacker decided I was a hacker and banned my IP address from accessing my web page, my retail shopping account and my email - for ......... 18 Hours. Seems the tech support folks didn't have sufficient rights to overrule such a blatant attempt. They had to bring in a Senior Tech rep.

This didn't impact customer ability to place orders - only my ability to process them.

I am nearly back up and running now - enough to see and process orders. What a way to spend a weekend. Computers are labor saving devices????????
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    My main computer died on Friday. Lightening strike took out the motherboard via the ethernet cable. Yes, everything was backed up redundantly BUT getting everything re-established has been awful. I made so many attempts to try to get MS Outlook to recognize my huge email data file (1.6 gig) with repeated set up and delete, the business server that hosts Photobackpacker decided I was a hacker and banned my IP address from accessing my web page, my retail shopping account and my email - for ......... 18 Hours. Seems the tech support folks didn't have sufficient rights to overrule such a blatant attempt. They had to bring in a Senior Tech rep.

This didn't impact customer ability to place orders - only my ability to process them.

I am nearly back up and running now - enough to see and process orders. What a way to spend a weekend. Computers are labor saving devices????????
    Karma for trying to leave us! It's a sign to stay open

Glad you got it all back

Placed an order for mine as well!

My Cascades arrived yesterday complete with clever shoulder strap although I think my Cascades will be going inside the P3 anyway. Now I can keep the different sizes and film types all ready to go instead of swapping holders in and out and relabeling each time. Being organised just got even more organised. Thank you Bruce!

RR

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    Computers are labor saving devices????????
    I remember when personal computers first began to appear in homes, businesses and stores. Everyone was saying that they would save time, replace paper, and save trees.

Today, everyone prints mountains of paper, e-mail, maps, receipts, etc.

And I have yet to own any type of computing device that did not consume more time keeping it operating than it does actually "working" for me.

But I do have to say that without computers and the internet, I would probably not have come to know the folks here at LF Forum, and Bruce with his excellent products.

So computers aren't all bad.

They just try to suck the life out of us.
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    Alrighty then, I'm convinced, this pack is awesome! I did a staple hike of mine, 5 mile round trip, 1,900 vertical to 13,400, packed in 29 pounds. It rode great on the ascent, but when it got dark and I trail ran about a mile at the higher elevations, I was at times laughing to my self at how stable the load was.

Wow Bruce...just wow....

Attachment 121367
    dang and I whine about hiking a mile to a waterfall on semi flat ground. : ) well maybe 25 years ago I could have done it..nah I doubt it.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

I did thousands of feet of vertical again today. Only now we have snow so there is very uneven footing, post-holing, ankle rolling, 3rd & 4th class climbing. I had a scurry of rocks bust through my area, a good ten pounder bounced off the pack....gear unfazed....lol.

I started at 5:30AM, back to my truck at 4:30. I took the pack of 32 pounds of gear off....the feeling my body had was one of just having a massage...surreal Bruce...simply surreal.

I better order a second pack, the way this stuff carries is simply in another world.

I feel shameful for just lugging 15 lbs...

Everyone has waxed eloquent about how good the product is. Here is another aspect....

I had ordered a pack with a custom case for the 8x10 camera and lens cases. It turned out to be a very tight squeeze in the pack. Bruce recognized a less than optimal situation and he found an older pack that was just slightly larger enough to accommodate everything and sent that along with the rest of the order for me to experiment with the whole kit and ensure I found a system that worked for me. I should have thought of these issues when I was placing the order and I am very thankful Bruce caught this and figured out a solution. A great product and a gentleman to deal with - what more could you ask for?

Cheers, DJ

Hello, Bruce!
    The larger lens case arrived today. Thanks!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."