Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentax Digital Spotmeter and The Zone System

Pentax Digital Spotmeter and The Zone System

Good afternoon folks... I'm in some need of education regarding the Pentax digital spot meter and applying the zone system. I understand how to read the EV values. In practice I metered the most important shadow at 10, then the highlight at 14.

My meter has a zone scale strip on the front. I then placed the EV 10 in the zone III section and wherever the 14 landed, I think VI.

My question is then where or what exposure do you select. I couldn't think it through when in the field how to get to the final step.
    Thanks for the help!

Dan

Drew Wiley

Re: Pentax Digital Spotmeter and The Zone System

You first set your ASA for your film speed. Then you read the EV values looking through the lens. You place your shadow reading at what you regard as your lowest
    zone, and your highlight EV at the highest. This will differ depending on the contrast range of the scene and your particular film and development. Then you look at
    the dial on the meter for any given combination of speed and f-stop that matches up. I would really help if you could meet up with someone in your area who could do a simple demonstration of this for you. You don't really need that zone scale on the meter. What constitutes a relevant shadow value depends not only on the scene itself, but on what you have determined is important with your particular film and printing method. I takes for practice to understand how the Zone System works. But it's a flexible system intended to fit you negative to various shooting and printing circumstances, and not a rigid set of numbers.

Preston Birdwell

dodphotography,

You've not mentioned if you're using color transparency or negative film.

For color transparency film it is best to place your significant highlight EV number reading on a higher zone value. For example, I place my highest EV value between VI-1/2 and VII and then see where my most significant low value will fall. Next, I check to see if it is within the expected dynamic range of the film. Finally, I look for an aperture/shutter speed combination for the aperture I want to use. (Note: my Zone placement is for my work--yours may be different)

For negative film, place your significant low EV value on a Zone that will give you the desired amount of detail and then check that the highest EV value will fall within your expected dynamic range. Now, select a shutter/speed aperture combination for the aperture you want to use.

I agree with Drew that if you can find someone to do a demo for you you'll see how it works right away. When I was learning the Zone System, I found the Zone strip to be very handy for learning. I'd leave it on the meter until you're really comfortable with the 'system' and using your meter.

Grab a copy of The Negative by St. Ansel. His exposure examples will be a big help.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You first set your ASA for your film speed. Then you read the EV values looking through the lens. You place your shadow reading at what you regard as your lowest
    zone, and your highlight EV at the highest. This will differ depending on the contrast range of the scene and your particular film and development. Then you look at
    the dial on the meter for any given combination of speed and f-stop that matches up. I would really help if you could meet up with someone in your area who could do a simple demonstration of this for you. You don't really need that zone scale on the meter. What constitutes a relevant shadow value depends not only on the scene itself, but on what you have determined is important with your particular film and printing method. I takes for practice to understand how the Zone System works. But it's a flexible system intended to fit you negative to various shooting and printing circumstances, and not a rigid set of numbers.
    Not quite. Place the shadow reading on the zone where you want strong shadow detail. Most of the time, most people place it on Zone II 1/2-III. Then look to see where your significant highlight reading falls. In the case Dan sights it will fall on Zone VI. If developed normally the negative will be somewhat flat. If development is in creased 40% (for most traditional films and developers) it will move up one Zone to Zone VII. If printing on VC paper, this is enough as filtration during printing can raise it up to the desired Zone VII1/2 - VIII.
    This is a very simple introductory statement to get Dan started in the Zone System.

Drew Wiley

Can't assume anything in this case. We don't know the lighting ratio, the film, the amt of dev, or even if the meter is being correctly used or not. Until someone has
    actually gotten onto first base, it's hard to visualize exactly where the shadows should hypothetically fall. I never ever ever use ZIII shadow placement myself. So much for "custom". First base would be simply to establish a personal "normal" working ASA for one particular film/developer combination. Maybe a good candidate
    for a workshop.

I just don't know once I set my low value on zone 3 what exposure to choose ... Like do you go with the shutter speed directly above (or closest to) zone III? Or anything that falls between your EV range

It's more of a question on how to read the meter as opposed to exactly where I'll set the zones... That's something I'll learn with experience and as I use a stock more often. For now it's just about getting in the ballpark!

Drew Wiley

Generally with black and white negatives (as opposed to color film), the most important thing to get properly exposed is the lowest shadow value you want to retain
    printable detail. You expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights. The bright red triangle on the meter should correspond to Zone V, right in the center of
    the dial. Let's imagine you do want to standardize on Zone III for your shadows. Then you just turn your meter ring (NOT the ASA setting, which should have been
    set in advance, depending on your specific film) - you turn it to show that particular EV reading right at the Zone III mark; in other words, two EV below Zone V in
    the middle. Then you take your highlight reading and see if it falls within range at the top, preferably not above Zone VII or VIII. Controlling highlights is a matter
    of more or less development time, at least to begin the learning curve. Then you'll see a whole range of stop/shutter speed combinations lined up on the dial which you can choose from.

Man, I'm feeling special. I just can't wrap my head around this chap!

Drew Wiley

In other words, any combination of f-stop and shutter speed lined up on the dial works, once you set your preferred zone placement. In your example, if EV 10
    was indeed placed on Zone III, then Zone V (middle gray) would read EV12 right at the red triange, and EV 14 would land on Zone VII, an easily manageable contrast range. But since we don't know your ASA, you'll have to look at the dial yourself to see how the aperture/speed options lined up.