Thread: Cleaning, upkeeping holders

Cleaning, upkeeping holders

Over the years, I've managed to build a nice collection of holders (4x5) for my shooting. Most of them are in good shape, but some need work. I want to bring all my holders up to great shape, and for that I need to do several things:

1. I want to remove the old numbers these holders had and assign them my own numbers. For that I need to remove the old numbers and put on the new ones. How do I remove the numbers and how do I mark the new numbers on the holders (i.e., what's the best way of accomplishing this?)?
    2. Some holders are starting to lose their color. How important is it that they remain black/dark and what's the best "paint" to use to do this?
    3. Some holders are starting to lose their color in the inside, that is, where the film goes. Same question as above, how important is it that they remain black/dark and what's the best "paint" to use to do this?
    4. How do I fix the "flap" on the holders?

I think this is it. That's all I can think of anyway. Keep in mind, I have both wood and metal/plastic holders.

Thanks
    --Mario

Re: Cleaning, upkeeping holders

I've been buying a lot of old holders recently. First I blast them with an air hose (I have a compressor in my shop) then I clean everything with windex until the paper towels stop getting dirty (old slides can get really filthy!), then coat the wood and anything else that's black painted with india ink (not inside, though--ink is very slightly glossy), after that some floor wax so they slip into the camera nice. Also, I do the slides with wax, which really loosens up tight old ones. Sometimes I'll wax them slide them in, and keep doing that until they stop getting easier. Finally, some more blasting with air, then more of that again when I load them. You can't use too much air.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I use a label maker to make labels for my film holders. My concern is that a film holder is light tight and operates smoothly. If there is any problem with one I don't use it. Holders are plentiful and fairly cheap. It simply is not worth loosing a shot due to a bad holder.
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

There was a long thread here recently on tape to repair the flaps. Net-net: bookbinding tape. The thread will go into more detail.

Gaffers tape also works very well

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Over the years, I've managed to build a nice collection of holders (4x5) for my shooting. Most of them are in good shape, but some need work. I want to bring all my holders up to great shape, and for that I need to do several things:

1. I want to remove the old numbers these holders had and assign them my own numbers. For that I need to remove the old numbers and put on the new ones. How do I remove the numbers and how do I mark the new numbers on the holders (i.e., what's the best way of accomplishing this?)?
    2. Some holders are starting to lose their color. How important is it that they remain black/dark and what's the best "paint" to use to do this?
    3. Some holders are starting to lose their color in the inside, that is, where the film goes. Same question as above, how important is it that they remain black/dark and what's the best "paint" to use to do this?
    4. How do I fix the "flap" on the holders?

I think this is it. That's all I can think of anyway. Keep in mind, I have both wood and metal/plastic holders.

Thanks
    1. Carefully! When I want new numbers I get those adhesive color dots from the stationary section and number them with a Sharpy.
    2. Not a problem. Older Kodak holders weren't black.
    3. I've never been able to put a decent paint job on the innards. Maybe some guys here can do that. It doesn't seem to matter much anyway.
    4. Bookbinders tap is the cat's meow. I use gaffers tape 'cause that's what I have on hand. Check recent threads on the subject.

FWIW, almost two decades ago I bought a stack of used plastic holders for my 8x10. One of the holders had a piece of gaffer's tape stuck to it. I pulled off the tape and...there...was...a...hole!
    I made a paste of PC-7 epoxy and colored it with black enamel paint and patched the hole. it still works great.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    Gaffers tape also works very well
    Gaffers tape soon gives out and breaks from constant bending and it leaves a gooey mess of adhesive. Use Book Binding Tape.

Thanks. So, what can I use to remove the markings that are on the holders (some are painted on), and what do I use to paint them black again?

Thanks.
    --Mario

Some work on old film holders I did a while back. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post283867