Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 240mm or 270mm tele lens with limited bellows draw

Re: 240mm or 270mm tele lens with limited bellows draw

did you check the schneider data? IIRC, the 270 tele arton has the shortest flange-focal distance of all the teles, down to about 150mm @ infinity I believe.

-Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    did you check the schneider data? IIRC, the 270 tele arton has the shortest flange-focal distance of all the teles, down to about 150mm @ infinity I believe.

-Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post

-Ed
    Close. 152 mm according to the 1967 catalog here: http://web.archive.org/web/201009220...hiv/archiv.htm

Unfortunately the OP said, in the first post in this discussion, that his camera's minimum extension is 5 3/4".

The 240 Tele-Arton's flange-focal distance is 150 mm (4x5 version). You may have been thinking of it. Still too long.

Sandy, in regards to your question about the Schneider 240mm Tele-Xenar, I have one and use it as my long lens on a 2X3 Century Graphic. With the lens focused on infinity, I measure the flange-focal distance to be around 6 1/8" or 156mm. Which means this lens would be unsuitable for your needs, that and its intended use is really for the medium format.

Mark

My 10"Wollensak TeleRaptor focuses infinity at 5 7/8". It wouldn't take much to make up the difference, stack a smaller lensboard on a larger one. It is a Wollensak though and some people find that a disadvantage (it happens to be my fourth favorite lens and covers 5x7 at head and shoulders portrait distance.)
    James

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by winterclock View Post
    My 10"Wollensak TeleRaptor focuses infinity at 5 7/8". It wouldn't take much to make up the difference, stack a smaller lensboard on a larger one. It is a Wollensak though and some people find that a disadvantage (it happens to be my fourth favorite lens and covers 5x7 at head and shoulders portrait distance.)
    i like mine too

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tweed View Post
    Sandy, in regards to your question about the Schneider 240mm Tele-Xenar, I have one and use it as my long lens on a 2X3 Century Graphic. With the lens focused on infinity, I measure the flange-focal distance to be around 6 1/8" or 156mm. Which means this lens would be unsuitable for your needs, that and its intended use is really for the medium format.

Mark
    Thanks. The flange to film plane of 156 mm is longer than the flange/film distance of the 270mm tele arton that I have.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I can only attribute the longer flange to film plane distance, despite the Tele-Xenar being a shorter lens (both in focal length and actual size), to a different lens construction. I know your Tele-Arton features a more complex optical design with additional glass elements compared to the Tele-Xenar, resulting in a sharper lens with better corrections.

Mark

Thanks again for all of the information.

My solution was to purchase a 22mm lens board extension for the 270mm Tele Arton, similar to what Ic-Racer suggested back in Post #8. The lens now focuses on the camera from infinity down to about fifteen feet.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon