Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Minor White at The Getty .

Re: Minor White at The Getty .

I have a manuscript called Canons of Camerawork, Minor White 1962. Not sure if it has been published.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Wayne:

Thank you. I will follow-up on Ron Wohlauer. It looks like his estate may have something. It's also good to learn about Wohlauer. I will let you know, if you don't mind, if it turns out that we need some help identifying the handbook.

John: Thank you, too. Can we work-out something for a copy of the manuscript of Canons of Camerawork? I would be grateful.

It also seems that there are a number of currently working photographers who did some level of study with White. A seminar would be interesting.

Don't forget the recent Aperture book filled with all sorts of things from Minor White's tenure there...

--Darin

Drew Wiley

The classic book was "Mirror, Messages, Manifestations", probably a bit collectible itself by now.

Good. Thank you guys. I am digging. Seems White wrote quite a bit -not sure yet how much on methods or materials.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Good. Thank you guys. I am digging. Seems White wrote quite a bit -not sure yet how much on methods or materials.
    Depending on your degree of interest in Minor's methods and materials, I would suggest that you research the Minor White Archive at the Princeton University Art Museum.

Another book that has a lot of information is Peter Bunnell's Minor White: The Eye That Shapes. But I don't think it will have any Tri-X in D76 printed on Oriental processed in Dectol type information. It also has a lot of photographs including some color.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Depending on your degree of interest in Minor's methods and materials, I would suggest that you research the Minor White Archive at the Princeton University Art Museum.

This looks very promising. Apparently, the museum has an extensive archive of negatives and prints, including note cards with printing details. I will be on the East Coast next month, so I think that I will pay a visit and see if it is somehow possible to view the negatives. Apparently, someone started a project of putting at least the note cards on a Minor White archive Web site. I will look further into this, too.

And thank you, Chuck. I will have a look at Bunnell's book.

Somewhere in my reading about White it was mentioned that in the late 40s-early 50s he used a 4x5 Sinar (Norma?) and a Schneider Symmar lens (the pre-convertible Dagor type). No mention about materials, although the films and papers he used are of course long gone. Not that that matters; if he was alive and working today he would bend the equipment and materials to serve his vision, as he did then.

Thank you Mark.

It looks like Bunnell is indeed a special source of information and insights concerning White and photography.