Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: is there a way to get grain in 4x5?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: is there a way to get grain in 4x5?

Stone, the Kodak Techpan development instructions you posted are for roll film. The instructions for sheet film describes the shuffle method, on the next page. "Use the special agitation procedure described below for best processing uniformity in a tray."

stradibarrius, the agitation method can change contrast and development time, but it won't change the maximum size of the grain clump. You have to use a grainier film, like Delta 3200.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Two thoughts:

I still think the simplest thing to do is shoot 120 Tri-X with a rollfilm back and use vigorous agitation and tank inversions.

If you insist on shooting 4x5 and want pronounced grain, start with Tri-X, underexpose and overdevelop it in a developer that does not knock the edges off the silver grains.

Or use the same film and development that you do with 35mm film, as close as you can, at least, and enlarge the LF image the same amount as you would the 35mm. I have some friends who make big prints from 8x10. They often use fairly grainy film, and it's quite visible.

If you have any Bergger 200 in the fridge. Use that. Freakin huge grain.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Stone, the Kodak Techpan development instructions you posted are for roll film. The instructions for sheet film describes the shuffle method, on the next page. "Use the special agitation procedure described below for best processing uniformity in a tray."

stradibarrius, the agitation method can change contrast and development time, but it won't change the maximum size of the grain clump. You have to use a grainier film, like Delta 3200.
    Brian,

There is no delta 3200 in 4x5 sheet film.

There's no hard and fast rules about anything, only opinion on what one prefers, this is art, let the OP try it and tell me it didn't work, or come back saying it did.

I do believe Rodinal or Ilfsol3 with the "shaking" method would work better for producing high grain-look than some other developers.

Yes I know it's about roll film, the point was it was suggested that even with roll film that "no one" shakes it, and I was demonstrating that this was incorrect.

Anyway, this is just a suggested based on experience and my own tests, I used to shake it because I didn't know you weren't supposed to, and got high grain images using Rodinal then changed that to gentile agitation and got fine grained using Rodinal. This was with SCANNING not optical printing so I don't know how that changes with optical.

Have you ever shaken it? If not then you don't know how the results will turn out only conjecture.

It's still 4x5 so lots of surface area, still may not show well unless the print is large. We'll find out when the OP reports back.

this is HP5 pushed to 800 asa and over developed to get the grain and contrast. 24C 11min Ilfotec DD-X
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Luka562-1.jpg  

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yes I know it's about roll film, the point was it was suggested that even with roll film that "no one" shakes it, and I was demonstrating that this was incorrect.
    if you are quoting me i didnt say no one shakes film to develop it. i asked how it was done
    seeing it was sheet film and easy to damage one way or another.
    i also said after speaking with kodak reps (on maybe 3 occasions)
    they never once suggested i shake film
    i had never seen the instructions you posted kodak never mailed me any seeing my tech pan days were pre internet, my film guy never told me about that
    and a friend who worked at a commercial lab never told me about that technique either...
    so shaking sheet film is all news to me ( and as brian pointed out news to kodak too ?)

my post is only a few up from this it wasnt hard to read, im not sure how you
    got " no one does" from "*I* dont " and "The folks at kodak never told me to do it ..."
    or " i have never heard of anyone doing it"
    ( plenty of people do things i have never heard of ).

stone i have no interested in a pissing contest with you
    so please dont continue with this ... just. ...
    next time you want to quote me, actually refer to what i write ...

barry sorry for disrupting your thread .. good luck with your grain ...

.... My 1980's tech pan came with the same instructions.... Difficult...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

There is no delta 3200 in 4x5 sheet film.
    Have you ever shaken it? If not then you don't know how the results will turn out only conjecture.
    Yeah, with roll film. But not with sheet film.

Yes, I know that Delta 3200 doesn't come in 4x5 format. That's why there's roll film backs, or a person can tape the film into a holder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apple-Tmax100-8x10-35mm001.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	118978
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

multiplex

.... My 1980's tech pan came with the same instructions.... Difficult...
    yup difficult since the instructions for SHEETS are to process in trays ..
    maybe read the instructions AND what i wrote ??
    i shake ROLL FILM in hand tanks from time to time ... but that has nothing to do with this thread or the op's question or this website.

this isnt apug or a forum for roll films
    but the LF forum so ... by default we are talking about SHEET FILM ... lol

great photo and the grain in the sky looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by cikaziva View Post
    this is HP5 pushed to 800 asa and over developed to get the grain and contrast. 24C 11min Ilfotec DD-X
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...