Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Re: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

A group of 4 kids, rough looking in a part of town I shouldn't be in, came up to me and simply said : "hey my man, what's something like that worth". That sent a few guards up.

I always tell people that since everyone moves to digital, these stuff are actually quite cheap and no one else really wants them :-)

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    I always get great reception with my view cameras. Most common phrase is "that is really old, isn't it?" Second one is probably "it's beautiful!" This last weekend though, while walking with the camera on the tripod on my shoulder, I got asked twice "are you shooting a movie?"
    Yes. "That's an old camera isn't it?" And then "Do they still make film?" Never fails.

hanging out under the dark cloth in west baltimore. a few young fellows came by with a light sucker punch to my gut. they didn't expect my aggressive reaction and kept walking to the end of the block. They came back and I was ready to rock and roll until they asked what i was doing. I told them I was photographing social decay (still on gaurd) before gentrification spread through the area. They likely never met anyone so interested in old crumbling buildings covered in trash. After seeing an Image on a ground glass, I had their attention. The camera certainly bridged a wide cultural gap although I wouldn't dare have it out after dark and there are other blocks in the same area where I wouldn't even get out of the car.

Drew Wiley

It works both ways. The mocked has every right to become the mocker. If someone asks me what that "old thing" is, I point out that it's made of titanium or
    aircraft alum alloy, or delrin and epoxy, whatever (depending on the specific camera), and then simply ask them if they've ever seen a real camera before. That
    generally shuts them up. Just depends on what side of the "great divide" I am between the Coast here and inland. Merely owning a view camera garners respect
    in this immediate area, though people might ask whether it's a "Hasselblad". In any event, they recognize it's something serious and know what it's for.

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    I always tell people that since everyone moves to digital, these stuff are actually quite cheap and no one else really wants them :-)
    That's the best answer. Make sure they know it is worth less.
    Tin Can

I was mocked pretty frequently by my old boss (medium format camera dealer). He spent so much time and effort selling against large format that anytime I brought it up I'd get a huge grumble and some mostly good-natured ribbing.

While out shooting I've never gotten anything but genuine questions and intrigue, which I love.

All I know is that when I showed my grandkid the 1930-ish 5x7 I was cleaning up to get usable again he was all like "that's so cool, you couldn't possibly get more retro."

Little does he know that I start cleaning on a 1890-1910-ish full plate camera soon. I'm just going to send him a text "yeah, I can possibly get more retro."

Last week at the Grand Canyon I had everything from "you should shoot digital, it's easier and a lot smaller", to "that's the most beautiful camera I've ever seen", to "Wow, that's only the second camera like that I've ever seen in my life".

Most folks are quite complimentary and as one French tour group walked past my location, the tour guide stopped to ask some nice questions about the camera and he asked if he could let one of his group take his picture with it. Soon everyone was posing with the camera while their compatriots took pictures. I even showed them how to hold the shutter cable. It was quite entertaining! Fortunately, it was at a time when the light was not changing and I was working at a snail's pace anyway. It was fun to let them have a little fun. The funniest part was when one of the French tourists asked me to move farther away from the camera because I was in the picture.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

I can't remember a single instance of being mocked. My interactions with people while photographing have been overwhelmingly positive. I have gotten honked at here and there, but for all I know, they're honks of enthusiasm.

Of course, I have had my share of "You can't photograph that/get off my lawn!" type exchanges, but that's really a separate issue. :-)