Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: finding nude models???

Re: finding nude models???

One of the local photographers simply runs an ad in the newspaper saying that he is looking for models for his figure photography workshop. He told me that it is not difficult getting models. Most are students from the nearby college. These girls like to take their clothes off. One model was a French lady who was on the faculty.

In the past I have used some of his models from prior workshops. Since they know me and my work, it works out quite well. On the other hand, at my age, if I ran an ad for figure models I would look like a dirty old man. It is easier to justify it if you are running a workshop.
    al

Are you having to pay the models or are you trading photos for modeling?
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I always pay the models, and get a signed model release. That keeps everything professional.
    That also eliminates any problems / questions / issues about how I might use the photos in the future.

Girls who will do TF are usually aspiring models that need to enhance their portfolios.
    If you do this, you sort of commit yourself to shooting what they want rather than what you want.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Richard Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    If you're good enough then you can have your choice and simply trade for jpgs. Sometimes they'll pay you although I wouldn't take their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I just visited that site for the first time. Lovely models, but a terrible site.

Specifically, there appears to be no way to select the models, other than just leafing through the Gallery.

The first model I looked at is in Brittany (France), and the second is in England.

They really need a function to select models by location and other traits, like the one at ModelMayhem.

- Leigh
    eh..looks like it's a portfolio site and not really for contacting/hiring models.. followers... gallery views... - stuff like that

Depends on the model. Pro models will always require payment, unless you have a unique. sought after, style that will benefit their portfolios. I never pay inexperienced models, although for a poor starving student I might pay for gas and a sandwich. You do not necessarily have to commit in a TFP scenario to shoot what the model wants. If your portfolio is strong, they should be willing to shoot what you want. Inexperienced models simply need strong work in their portfolio; not work of a specific style that they may think they need.

You should also be sure to have the model complete a section 2257 form (that states that the model is of legal age). Not having that form signed by the model can expose you to risks that you do not want be exposed to (no pun intended).

A good rule of thumb, like with dating, is whoever asks who out is the party that pays for the date. So if you contact a model and ask to shoot together, be prepared to pay. If a model contacts you about shooting (e.g. responding to a flyer on in an art program, or to your ModelMayem profile), then you should not pay. This is not 100% but is a good starting point. Also, in ModelMayhem you may find yourself being contacted by travelling model who are trying to fill out their day. Don't agree to pay them for a shoot unless their look appeals to you.

I imagine that it varies by region but is there a ball park rate?
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Richard Johnson

The experienced traveling models usually ask for $100 per hour, two hour minimum, cash, with a 50% non-refundable deposit made via PayPal. Some want a $300 minimum.

Estimates are that there are over 1000 freelance nude travel models crisscrossing the country. While most live hand to mouth, smart/careful/diligent ones can pull $100k in cash ;-p

Newbies may ask for that much and you can negotiate based on your instincts. The smart ones will shoot with good photographers in trade so they can build up a better portfolio so they can appeal to a better class and better paying photographers.

Someone with a lot of experience and natural beauty, like Tiana Hunter, http://www.modelmayhem.com/9675, probably deserves more than $100/hour but if your work is appealing even the best models will shoot in trade. http://www.modelmayhem.com/8001 Betcee is also very good. You might recognize a frequent poster from here as well: http://www.modelmayhem.com/749075.

Some are cold-hearted strippers looking for cash irregardless of quality, you want to avoid these ladies. You can usually tell because they won't have even looked at your work, they just want the money.

The model I recommended up above on a previous post would do right by you.... On that level $200 would get you an afternoon of patient shooting and dozens of excellent photos.

I don't agree about the 50% deposit with the experienced travelling models. If you have a webpage you can refer the model to and the model trusts you as a serious fine art photographer, you should not have to put a deposit down. I've worked with dozens of full time travelling nude models and have never had one ask for a deposit.

The going rate that these type of models ask for is normally $100 - $125 per hour. However, once you get a little experience, that isn't normally what you need to pay. I have never been turned down at $75 per hour from even the most experienced of models. You can also expect a little lower rate if you have longer sessions. Mine typically last 4 hours so they look at it as a half day rate. Also, I never ask a model her rates, I tell her what my budget can afford. That way, if she is happy with it, everyone wins.