Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon-W 135mm question

Fujinon-W 135mm question

I have a Fujinon-W 150mm that is an excellent lens. Currently it is mounted on a Graphflex lens board so I can't use it with my Sinar F2. I was thinking on just leaving the 150mm attached to the Graphflex and get another lens to carry with my Sinar F2.
    I am going to get somethng in the 135mm length. Is the Fujinon-W 135mm as good a lens as the 150mm.
    If you were going to get a 135mm for 4x5 what lens would you get?
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Dave Karp

Re: Fujinon-W 135mm question

I don't have a 135mm, but I have a 150mm and 125mm Fujinon NW series (lettering outside of barrel, EBC multicoating) and both are equally nice.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

I had two versions of the 135/5.6 W: One single coated one in a Seiko 0 shutter and one EBC coated one in a Copal 0. They're different lens designs (plus there is an even older f6.3 I think). The first one has a slightly larger image circle, so I kept that to use on 5x7, but both copies were absolutely wonderful. Kerry Thalmann has a nice review on them somewhere.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Drew Wiley

Just try one. If you don't like the 135 send it to me and I'll be happy to safely "dispose" of it. I think they used some ultra-toxic radioactive glass on this focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Is the Fujinon-W 135mm as good a lens as the 150mm.
    Yes! They are both excellent.

in the 135mm focal length I have had: Nikon Nikkor-W, Schneider Symmar-S and Xenar, Rodenstock Sironar-S and Sironar-N as well as the Fujinon-W

The Sironar-S is the best of the lot but, ultimately, too expensive for me to feel comfortable with. Presently, I have and use the 135mm Fujinon-W and 135mm Rodenstock Sironar-N.

The Sironar-N is dedicated to a Graflex lensboard and the Fujinon is dedicated to the Toyo field.

The computer designed Sironar S mentioned earlier is said to be the sharpest. All the other modern 135's will be quite similar to your Fujinon. Of course earlier lenses will not be as sharp but hold their own virtues.

Myself, I would be quite happy with your Fujinon or equivalent. The Sironar S is too expensive for me.

If you are interested in the Sironar S lenses then ask Leigh or Vinny about them. They own them and swear by them. I wish I had the money.

Dave Karp

Maybe this information will be of help: http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html. The 135mm Fuji NW pretty much holds its own against the best of the 135s. And check out that 150mm Fuji compared to the other 150s. Assuming that you own the EBC coated version with the outer lettering, those are two pretty impressive lenses.

Dave Karp

And check out this quote with regard to selecting a large format lens field kit: "Fujinon 135mm W/EBC f/5.6 - . . . This lens has the quality of German lenses. F/11 and f/16 performance is good. F/22 performs right at diffraction limits. Just make sure you pick one up that has the multicoating." http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/kit.html.